Happy Dance, Happy Dance!

Jenny and Ron, what a great team!



Hello puppies, here is a question for you. Where can you go and talk to total strangers and have so much in common? Well how about a nice little (hundreds of ladies) talk by Jenny Doan about her history, the process and the current miracle that is the Missouri Star Quilt Company. Who would ever have thought that a few U-Tube video's would turn into this? I have seen many of the video's and her personality is infectious. As I looked around the room yesterday I saw what appeared to be lightbulbs going off in the eyes of so many quilters. Those who are new to the craft are amazed at what can be done with a few pieces of fabric and those who have been avid quilters for some time are thrilled with the new techniques that Jenny has developed to make quilting faster and more fun for everyone.



We had a good time, it was so nice to see her quilts in person. I feel like I know her. I came home from the event energized and enthusiastic. I finished piecing the Sunnyside project and need to venture out tomorrow for some extra wide backing fabric and batting for that one. Need to get that quilted up ASAP. Since I need a quick small project that will receive lots of use, I started a modified Jelly Roll Jam quilt, more on that on another post. I plan to finish piecing that tomorrow.

Quilting as therapy:
  • Jenny discussed some of the letters she has received from people who have been emotionally supported by quilting. Everyone from new widows to 9/11 survivors.
  • I can attest to the saving grace of quilting and needlework in general. It is true. It can save a soul. 
  • A lady sitting in front of me had never been to a quilt event. She is a knitter. But sometime last fall she had the urge to buy a sewing machine. It sat until now. This program had her so excited she was buying rulers, fabric and ideas galore. She will soon be taking classes to learn how to use her new machine. Best of luck.
  • While waiting in the check-out line ( You know I could not be there without getting more fabric. I just could not. More about that later, too.) I had several different conversations with some the loveliest ladies also mesmerized by beautiful fabrics. One dear soul, in her 80's is just learning to quilt. Can you imagine. She has health problems and lives rather far away but she wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I wish she lived closer. She would have been a great addition to our Tuesday Sew and Sew Group. 
  • Another dear lady was a purse maker. The fabrics got her. She going to the big time now, making her first quilt.
Well, I could go on and on but I think I just heard someone snoring. So while you doze off think of me, doing my Happy Dance!!!







A poignant post honoring Mother Day from Marsha of Splenderosa.

Comments

Jeanneke said…
Great post! Great news!
We love Jenny and Missouri Star Q. Company over here at our spot on the www in The Netherlands. Some of the quilts I board basted with my friends were made with the help of Jenny on Youtube, like the Jacob's Ladder Quilt and the one I showed on my final Zondagssteek's Bee blog update.
Love and hugs and wishing you happy dancing and quilting!