Friday Morning Musings

Butterscotch and Roses by Fig Tree and Co. for Moda
  Good Morning Guppies. With all the rain here I sort of feel like we have been swimming upstream lately. Our lawns are swamps, the rivers are swollen and my dogs are sneezing as much as I am from the tree pollen.

I found a nice little Jelly Roll, unrolled, in a storage drawer. It was pretty fabric in a shabby chic sort of way. But I only had one. What to do? What to do? Just having attended the Jenny Doan event I had a little spark of an idea for a quick project. I needed to make a few little lap quilts to park here and there because I get cold in the air conditioning. Something lighter in color, perky. So here we go with another Jelly Roll quilt, modified. I know, I know, how boring you say? No, no, no. It was fun, fast and will look good where I plan to use it. Here is the flimsy. I think I am going to glam it up a bit with some applique.
I inserted 2 1/2 square blocks at the end of each strip. Not a bias match, just a square. If I had another Jelly Roll I would have done a log cabin type of quilt. I plan to applique some vines and leaves here and there to add some dimension. By machine. That should be interesting.

The backing will be another white-on-white, simple quilting.
Thoughts:
  • I am beginning to understand quilting for the fun of quilting. Not obsessing over every little thing. I will be unceremoniously expelled from certain groups as a result of this, I am sure. 
  • I am thinking of starting some kind of business in the quilting genre just so I can attend the International Quilt Market. I am not joking. Here I am, living in the host city and they won't let me in! Not right I am telling you, it's not right!
  •  Or, I could loose weight, pack myself in a large suitcase and ship myself in like a quilt vendor. I will need to think on that a little more. 
  • I would like to take a little spa vacation, you know, pleasant breezes, someone else does the cooking and I might finally be able to finish the book I have been reading for a month. Relax. 
  • Why does every flying insect with a stinger or a biting habit find me? Little beasts. I wear no perfumed anything and they still find me, buzz my head, land in my hair. How am I supposed to plant, weed or water? I know, a bee keepers get up. That's it. 
  • Have you watched this season of Call the Midwife, on PBS? Powerful drama all season now we have to wait another year. So many endings up in the air. I suppose I connect with the show because it is about nurses, nursing and changes. Half the time I end up all weepy like an old Oprah episode!
  •   Mr. Sewtopia does not understand why I prefer stale (meaning dry on the outside) apple fritters. I do, I'll let him figure it out. 
  •  I just received a call from a former student. Funny how things work out, come full circle. I never cease to be amazed about the whole  Six Degrees of Separation Theory. 
  • This week was a productive one. I have been tracking my quilting time and quilt related activity time to make sure I am staying true to my resolution to quilt more. (that was wordy, wasn't it?) Last week I spent 11 hours, just sewing.  Add to that 5 hours at the Jenny event and 1 hour quilt shopping, not bad. I want more dedicated time.  I will work on that this coming week.
 
While I work on how to manage that, listen to this:

Mercy, by 14 year old on X-Factor, Britain.

Mercy, by Duffy. Here is the original.

Comments

Jeanneke said…
I love your Fig Tree flimsy! Great idea to add squares to every new strip of fabric.
Take care walking in the rain, or rowing your boat gently down the stream...
Cheers,

Jeanneke.