Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Twinkle, Tinkle Little Tree...Can You Finish Shopping for Me?

I am way behind and hardly knew it, surely not alone, I think time passes more quickly these days, I cannot prove it, of course, but I really think it is true. We have had another little snowfall overnight and a subsequent storm to follow this evening. It is mid-December but it seems like mid-February. The deer are decimating the bird feeder because foraging is just too much work in this weather. 

Linda Sue sent along a photo of her current project, unfortunately I could not attend our weekly group  either. She commented..."This is what I would take to Sew and Sews if I were nearby. The Challenge fabric Hatteras Island Quilters are using is from the Scrumptious line."

I suspect that many quilters have an orphan applique block tucked away somewhere. I have a few and have considered giving up the big project originally planned and use it as a center medallion for a totally different project.

Gwen Marston Medallion Quilts Tile Wall Art-for example, a workshop to learn a paper piecing technique results in the center block but a sashing frame, some flying geese, and some set in pieced blocks result in this lovely example.

scraps

Medallion Quilt | Flickr - Photo Sharing!-I do not know if this fabric and pattern combination is intentional, or not, but just think of all those bits and pieces in bins and drawers that could  seemingly be combined to create something like this quilt.

medallion style

Quilters Exhibition 2012 (4): a selection of medallion quilts-a quilt with planned colorways, very simple design, minimal piecing and strip designed patterns create a large and stunning geometric pattern play.


The more I examine these quilts I see multiple options. Do you have a collection of practice blocks? Could they be incorporated into a quilt like one of thee? A little something to think about in your free time in the next couple weeks. Right!

No comments:

Lost and Found: Making Cake for Christmas

I suspect you know by now that I had parts of this quilt done and lost the whole thing. I had it in a basket that got moved into an obsc...