Sunday, October 20, 2013

Mt. Everest Project Summary, 10-12-12 to 10-12-13. Another Type of Serenity Sunday Thinking.

Photo: The peak of Mount Everest
Sometimes Serenity takes an odd turn. While pondering my direction for this day,   I came upon the idea of revisiting the Mt. Everest Project. Even though I didn't talk about it much here it is a big part of my lifestyle change. Defining need versus want, categorizing the life I now live versus the very public life I used to live and how my wardrobe choices need to be adjused to accommodate that difference.  During this last year I feel that I have accomplished that element of my goal.
A year has passed. Inspired by other Bloggers, I decided to start a project last year.  The goal was to not purchase any RTW clothing that I could make myself.  Not such a big deal, right? While I had identified some holes in my wardrobe, there were no significant gaps. So in one sense this was not a huge challenge to me. It also illustrates that a large wardrobe, seasonally separated is a good thing. I know some minimalist Sewists pride themselves in the knowledge that they can and do survive, in all their life pursuits, with a total of 10 or 20 pieces of clothing. Really? I do not believe it. There, I said it, cannot be done. On second thought, it can be done, but you will be bored to insanity. You will be a drone with the  fashion sense of Mao! Women are supposed to care about their appearance. Women inherently are here to set a standard of cleanliness, dress and style. Fat or thin, short or tall, blonde, brunette or redhead, you have a responsibility to raise the level of the cultural limbo pole.

  I have sorted out that I keep three  essential categories of wardrobe. One, my at home casual. Two, my public casual and three, my public dressed-up. A fairly simple breakdown of comfortable knits run through each category. I would be in a questionable situation without the T-shirt. Short sleeve, 3/4 sleeve or long sleeve, basic knit to elegant silk they are the strongest element for my life-style.  I made essentially nothing much in clothing this year, I didn't need to. I did stock-pile some lovely fabrics though! I have spent most of my  Needletime quilting or knitting or crocheting!
 So where do I go from here and what is one strong conclusion I can draw from this experience. It was fun to not be tempted by RTW knowing I could replicate an item with my current patterns, fabrics etc. Unfortunately, I have not addressed my fitting issues properly. Because of this and because of the marginal quality RTW I have decided to extend my project another year. In the spirit of full disclosure I did purchase some cheapo long sleeve T-shirts at Macy's a couple weeks ago. They are adequate for my home wardrobe and/or public casual until  I dribble coffee or tea!

So, that's it. I am happy to have made this decision.  My dates will remain the same October 12, 2013 until October 12, 2014. This will exclude under-garments, sweaters, shoes. (you cannot expect me to not add to the shoe collection!) Gifts are also off limits.  I cannot expect gift-ers to adhere to my rules. Just saying.
Another attempt will be to document my

 





progress or lack of progress on a Monthly basis.    
 The Original Mt. Everest Post.




No comments:

What Do You Do With All That Rosemary?

My china closet that houses only the Polish Pottery collection, well, some of it. That little space below the hutch is not much good for ...