Thursday, October 10, 2013

A Day in Sewtopia, The Garden, Winding Down, A Day in the Studio





zinnia

garden, fall

Sewtopia, like your home, is a busy place. I like to set Thursday aside for a studio day. I picked these eggplant this morning for dinner because the weather is cool enough that it is not likely they will get much bigger. In addition, if you have/own/know Labrador Retrievers you are well aware of what happens after they are bathed, s-h-e-d-d-i-n-g! A fur round up will be required before studio time.

It seems I am frequently doing this or doing that before my studio time. I am sure I am not alone. I am trying to find a better system for tracing templates. Not my favorite activity. I have used the standard template supplied, I have traced that onto sandpaper, (like that) but today I am going to add another dimension.

 Now, most of this work is done with the board on a foot-stool and in front of the TV, so please understand this is not the most ergonomic process. OK, see that opaque plastic rectangular piece? Can you identify if from your kitchen? I will share my secret, it is the plastic packaging for a package of bacon. It is about  three times heavier than standard quilters template plastic. Wash it well with a grease-cutting detergent in hot water. Dry  it. While it is still warm from the hot water, (dried) place a heavy book on top of it to press out any possible curve, the next day you will have perfect, heavy template plastic.

I am going to glue the sandpaper template on top of this. A much more sturdy working piece!

That's all for now, need to get moving. Hope you have a nice productive day, I  hope that I have some new things to show you tomorrow. Later.......
  

No comments:

RIP Lucy, a Quilt Project Without You, Will Never Be the Same.

Always in my heart, my sweet Lucy. My Lucy, the sweetest dog I have ever known and I have known some great dogs. In her younger days ...