The Poor Boy Sweater

Watching the PBS fundraiser the other day reminded me of the Poor Boy Sweater. Very popular at my high school in the 1960's, this sweater was iconic.

One of my friends had so many of these sweaters that she never wore the same one twice, for the entire school year. That is a lot of sweaters, most were multi-colored stripes. I had a couple.

Styled after the sometimes shabby, tight-fitting ribbed sweaters worn by newsboys in London, the poorboy sweater gained fashion iconic status in the 1960's when the "waif-like" Twiggy became THE fashion icon of the time.  I was there, I remember it well.  poor boy style
GAP sweater offered on ebay for $59.99
Poor Boy Sweatera snug-fitting, pullover sweater with ribbing on both the body and sleeves, worn by girls and women.



Givenchy Poor-Boy Sweater Dress, C. 1970. Long Sleeve

Comments