Wooly Pears on a Tree-Applique, a Work in Progress

So, here is the story with this little piece. It is my intention to replace all my toss pillows this fall with wool creations. The designs tend to be a little primitive/colonial style. This is a pear tree. The background wool is a lovely, thick piece of double-sided flannel I found in the stash. The tree branches are a hand-dyed cut from more stash fabric while the pears are very subtly shaded yellows that are not showing up very well in this photo. The leaves are a dark purple/brown, also stash. I am using a simple blanket stitch (hand) using three strands of DMC black floss all around. I plan to add some veining to the leaves and maybe a couple little green bits to the pears. I nice, portable project. 

Portable as in basket. The other wool pillow piece is in this basket too, I am still thinking about how I will frame it. Not likely the original crazy patch style in the pattern. here. The star here is the basket. Measuring about 10 inches by 14 inches with two nicely hinged handles. The surprise here is that the basket was made by Amish child.
amish basket
I use all my baskets, this one has had many lives over the last 10 years.
 
 One of our local quilt shops carries a nice selection of wools, some are enhanced with over-dying.
colonial/primative
color here is more accurate, in my mind this is a Fall tree, the leaves are turning with the season and the pears are ripe.
On my way to mine the wool stash for some greens..................

Comments