Seasonal Tour of Sewtopia, a Test Pattern

The Test Pattern. Not the one we see on our television sets, but ones we try-out before we commit to a full quilt. For me, this is as much color test as a pattern test. For example, This little mat was made from left over strips from the Jelly Roll quilt. It is my intention to use this very simple pattern and quilting for a set of new place-mats. While the quilt came first in this example the concept of testing colors and patterns, no matter what the project, can easily be accomplished with little time involved. By  making place-mats or table runners fabric is not wasted. I also used a fusible quilt batting to speed the process along.    

 My next 'test' will involve circles. That will be a first for me. I've not done circles before. The inspiration is from International Spring Quilt Market, Moda Schoolhouse. This one:
An ambitious test, yes? I need to get a circle cutter. Yes, I do. 
At this time of year the fireplace in Sewtopia is put to rest. The ashes are removed, grates dusted and new decor is added to the mantle. I finally put all the Easter Decor away and searched the bins for something different for summer. I tend to move collections around the house now and then to give them a fresh viewing. Here I gathered up some Pewter pieces, added a new candle lantern (Led candle, on 6 hours with automatic shut off.) and a new spray of white berries. Of course, I kept one of the ducks in the center to add a little balance. The mantle here is cut from one large piece of Oak. This is the second mantle. The first one installed had a curl and a twist on one end. I liked it, thought it was very individual. The builder didn't like it, removed it and added this one. You can still see the blade marks on the long side. I often wonder what happened to the "flawed" one. I polish this with bees wax a few times a year. 
I used to keep a mantle scarf up there, usually a test pattern of a quilt design I was working on. Now, I don't because you need to be 7 feet tall to see it!
Antique Pewter pitcher, family heirloom, little Pewter lidded pot also family heirloom. Black lantern gift shop import, new.

A Pewter insulated pitcher from the Cleveland Hotel that I found in a country antique store, the ancient iron I discovered buried in a sub-basement in our first home, the hand crank butter churn is also antique also from the same antique shop.
Close up of the butter churn, one of my favorite pieces. The glass has lots of little bubble inclusions, the galvanized parts and paddle are fully functional.
I am fond of my ducks. This little cutie from at least 20 years ago from a booth at the Shaker Woods Festival called Christopher's Rainbow. The booth was there last year but I didn't see any ducks. Resin cast from original carvings, each one has a very distinct personality.

May your day be one of peace and calm, one that nourishes your creativity and enhances the home where you live. Think of  'test  patterns' and try something new or different. Like knitting a swatch for gauge,  test  a quilt pattern.  


Comments