The Ladies Hat- Degas, At the Milliners, 1882: Happy Mothers Day

Degas
In my 'formative' years I remember the Ladies in my little town, my  church, at public events etc. wearing hats. Some were wide brimmed with ribbons and flowers and then in the 1960's the "Pill Box" became the front runner. Shortly after that trend the ladies chapeau rather lost favor. I saw a  brief return in formal settings when Lady Diana Spencer graced the world, but nothing like Mr. Degas in this painting. On Mothers Day one saw some lovely summer bonnets come out as well as some new versions of the Easter hat. The hat was a woman's crown. With Mother's Day occurring this weekend in the US I guess I am thinking about Mothers and style trends. May all Mothers be honored this day. No, we are not perfect and yes it is truly the most difficult and most wonderful job we will ever undertake.  Enjoy the day.

Comments

worldsbestmeme@gmial.com said…
Just so you know hats are still alive. I have many and wear a different one almost each Sunday to Church. The men and women love to see them and always make comments.The comments come from young to old people but especially men. Many women stopped wearing hats cause they didn't look good in the one they tried on. Hats are funny you've got to find the right one for yo. It may be big brimmed or little but no not all hats look good on a person. That is why I think the wearing of them stopped.
Corinne said…
Hello worldsbestmeme, so nice of you to comment. I remember how glamorous ladies looked in their hats. I wear them in cold weather of course but I miss not seeing them as before. I am so glad there are still a few of you out there! I just can't seem to pull it off. Good for you!
Anonymous said…
Ladies wore hats and gloves when I was a young girl.

I also see gentlemen - even young one - with really nice hats occasionally. Rarely on women. Well in the summer, some women in my area wear rather nice sun hats, but nothing like the works of art from the era you wrote about.

(I do see quite few of the other kind of hats: shapeless berets, mangy ski hats, and baseball caps - which do not count.)
Corinne said…
I suppose our point of reference is most likely the elegant hats, the chapeau, that made a lady special. I remember movies from the 1920's and 1930's where the lady of the house would 'save up' for a new hat or the man of the house would pacify her by telling her to go buy a new hat!