Easing into Color, One Project at a Time, One Purchase at a Time

This post started as a commentary about a wonderful online free magazine published by Coty Farquhar. What a stunning publication. Please pop over there to see what I mean. Copyright laws prevent me from posting photo's or text from the site, but the link will get you there. Pour a cup of tea or coffee and get comfy.

So, while scanning this periodical I reminded myself how color challenged I am and how I am trying to amend that. I am also reminded that I am not purchasing any clothing item that I can sew myself and I am trying to use up the stash.   My warm weather weight fabric is a small pile, but My Mount Everest Project here is still in effect. So far, so good. But color is seeping in, just so you know. For example:
t
the slow but sure probably way too much color afghan, in progress

see that basket full of colorful yarn? I am really trying:)
So let me move on. I have discussed my shoe addiction in the past. I have done little to control my urges in that arena. And listen to me, I have a Talbot Outlet nearby, I saw these little darlings earlier this year but I balked at the full-price for hot pink shoes! But, at Outlet pricing, are you kidding me? They came home with me.

Chanel influenced Talbot shoes
a wee bit of a 'Chanel' influence, yes?
With Spring comes the closet assessment. There are some gaps. I have only purchased a couple light weight cardigans and hope to get some sewing done in the next couple weeks or it will be wool for summer for me!!!  Again, the Outlet graced me with some wonderful finds at outstanding prices. I am cold in commercial air conditioning. I most always wear a lightweight sweater. I thought I could get some color pops there. 
100% cotton
100% cotton, baby cables, silvery metal buttons with 3/4 sleeves. Another in a rasberry linen did not photograph well, I will share that another time. It is dark and rainy here so photo's are indoor. Sometimes these super-saturated colors need daylight!
This intense color goes well with white, certain off-white, black, navy, gray and tan.  I learned this from Janice at The Vivienne Files. For example, look at the post just up. I did not plan this! I have learned so much about color, planning and style by following her blog. Amazing, and she does permit me to re-post.
  1. Imagine a person who has truly made the choice that their wardrobe core colors are going to be black, white, and pretty pink.  Over the years, she accumulates the necessary basics - cardigans in her colors,  a black suit, shoes and sandals in black, with a fun pair of pink dress shoes, just for kicks.  She has a beautiful pink scarf that has been around forever, and she has been carefully, gradually accumulating pink and silver jewelry...
    white cardigan - Rag & Bone, black blazer - Mango, pink cardigan - J. Crew, black cardigan - J. Crew,  sunglasses - Ray-Bans, ring - Baccarat, black flat sandals - John Lewis,  earrings - Baccarat, scarf - Guess, black pumps - Brooks Brothers, bracelet - Baccarat, black & white slingbacks - Miu Miu, pink pumps - Michele Grimaldi, black kitten-heel sandals - Ralph Lauren, black slingbacks - Stuart Weitzman

    Now, one day this person is shopping, and they see a dress.  A classically cut, simple, (no beads, nor sequins) dress.  In black, white and pink! 


    dress - MaxMara

    It's easy to immediately fear that a dress in a print or pattern won't be versatile, but once a core of accessories and a few "top layers" have been accumulated, this print dress can be worn to almost any event or occasion, throughout most of the year.

    Ah, the benefits of having a plan...

     This dress could go to work in any but the most rigorously conservative environments. Thank You Janice, you think I planned this!!!


     And could easily be worn out to dinner, to religious services, concerts or other social functions. 


     It could even go to a wedding, or just running around on Saturday afternoon browsing through antique stores...

Comments