A Very Wordy Wednesday-Elegance, Style and Opinion

 


Several lifestyle and fashion blogs I have read recently are discussing elegance or rather the lack of it in current fashion and culture. We see Hollywood and fashion icons at award shows etc. and after much fuss and stylist intervention, there is elegance. However, see these same people at the supermarket or in the park walking the dog...not much elegance. If the tabloids be true, some of the most 'elegant' are actually quite dowdy and their carriage changes to schlep while the glittering smile turns into a scowl. Of course, the paparazzi could make anyone bark and scowl.

True elegance to me recalls Audrey Hepburn, Princess Grace and a lady who goes to my church. Poise, a confident walk, classic clothing, good grooming and a true smile defines elegance to me. I am not equating elegance with wealth  although budget does play role. A good haircut and color can make or break a look but price does not always define the quality. I have seen elegance in a Chanel jacket or jeans and sweater. It is not the clothes but it is the person. Today elegance, style and fashion are bumping together in my head.


Why, I am pondering this subject again?. As the weather warms I get cring-y. I can't help it. This weekend we had warm air, 70's. And what happens when the air warms? Coats come off, sweaters are tossed in favor of T shirts and tank tops, lots of leg is out there . Why does elegance go out the window?  I can almost look the other way if it is 90 degrees and certainly if one is at a picnic or at the beach. But the 'in your-face' public displays offend me. But, quite frankly, I think that is the intent. I am of another generation, another time when looking well dressed and well groomed was an aspiration. Some call that being judgemental. For shame, I have an opinion. Yes I do.

The Basics (as culled from multiple articles and opinions, including my own)  of Grooming that can ultimately translate to elegance:
  • cleanliness,  a recurring theme of Mary Brooks Picken, this should be undersood in a civilized society,  bathe, shower, wash hair, clean nails, clean mouth
  • clean clothes, again you may not have the Chanel jacket, but what ever you don should be clean
  • lets dry and comb the hair, OK? how sad to see a lovely young woman with wet and matted hair in public. Finding the most flattering cut is a life-long journey for most. Enjoy the trip,
  • undergarments, I know, this is a pet peeve of mine, but jiggling cha-cha's, not on a Las Vegas stage, are not cute or provocative, just pathetic. Let us also start a new trend, cover the bra straps, you just look careless and lazy.
  • while on the subject of exposure, let us remember that low rise pants, trousers etc. also rise low in the back, not good unless one is standing straight as a stick, not breathing, and certainly not laughing or bending over.
  • feet, oh my, where to start? clean, of course, a pedicure if possible, if a little less than optimum, cover those babies up, please. 
  • shoes, no dirt, no debris, a little polish and buff if you please. 
  • tights, no runs, snags or holes
  • buttons buttoned, zippers zipped, modesty panels when necessary
  • posture, everyone looks better with good posture. Standing, sitting, walking etc. Trust me, you will look trimmer and more confident if your shoulders are lifted and back, straighten the spine and be confident.
choose a role model or two. Don't abdicate your personality in process. Define what elements of their style that you may audition. Read the style blogs, identify what elements    interest you. Develop a mood board to help you spot your own trends. 
I'll stop now. I seem to return to this subject now and then. It is for my growth and perspective.  I do not intend to offend or rant, just thinking out loud, sorting my own opinions.

For another view on this  subject, please visit Sewing Artistry and see a short video by The Daily Connoisseur Jennifer, here, at Sewing Artistry.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes, yes, and heck yes. We must be from the same era/upbringing.

While I fully appreciate and reap the rewards of the advances women have made as a whole, my heart aches for the time when you could spot a true lady (or gentleman, for that matter) from a mile away - and that was the norm, not the exception.