6 Days, Now the Little Stuff

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iC_eSM-Pdeg/UMi6leIdc-I/AAAAAAAAQ4U/NQpkHBNvVMg/s1600/punch-bowl.jpg
Source:  Martha Stewar Living, Dec. 2000 . I love the sense of this vintage punch bowl. I even have a table that resembles this one. I grew up with punch bowls. In the 50's every respected hostess in our circle had one. At one point it was a competition of sorts. Sort of like the layered jello salads. (another topic for another day) It was all about who had the largest, the most beautiful cut glass, the most translucent milk glass. Living in a geographical area where multiple glass factories pumped out lots of punch bowls, I have my share. I really don't make much punch, but my Mother insisted that I needed a punch bowl set. After we had moved into our new house in the 1970's her first gift to me was... you guessed, a punch bowl, with 10 matching cups. Of course, Mother-in-law had a magnificent cut glass beauty just waiting for me to inherit as well. I think it has 30 cups and holds about 10 gallons. Three grown men are required to bring it out of storage! See what I mean about the "one-up-manship?" There is another beauty, in lead glass no less, that is only decorative. Fortunately, I didn't use it, thus, no lead poisoning. My memories of fizzy pink stuff with a ring of something frozen circling in it (with fruit cocktail frozen in the ring, no less) will haunt me for the rest of my life. The thought of egg-nog doesn't work for me. So that's out. I'm thinking ice tea with frozen lemon slices or straight vodka with a lime twist. Ah, the holidays, the memories, the punch bowls! 

Comments