Summer Winding Down, the Garden, photo heavy

As August wanes I took a little walk, with camera, to capture what will soon be gone.

I love the fall season for its colors and crisp air, the scents and sounds of harvest season. But saying goodbye to summer is always bitter sweet. Our summer has been very hot with not enough rain and it did certainly affect the gardens. Despite my watering etc. The vegetable garden suffered.

 It has been a good year for begonia's.

 I usually kill off my begonias by over watering. Because of the heat, the water did not build up and cause the famous root rot. 
These sweet little giant marigolds did well, but the green is a little brittle.


 The hydrangea are beautiful but not as many flowers as usual. 

It was so hard to find coleus at the garden stores this year. These seeds took 4 weeks to germinate. I was so surprised to see them finally come up. 




I call this the Nokra Okra. It never grew beyond this transplant stage. Needless to say, nothing to pick! 
this tangled mess is a Juliet Tomato that grew wildly in long green stalks and smothered the other plants in this bed.

be still my heart! Eggplant!!!!!

Here's another one!!!!

 Lots of green tomatoes.
 A sweet version of the banana pepper, wonderful! These are very prolific little plants.
Zinnia

zinnia

zinnia

surprise, more zinnia

 A Spanish Oregano. I will pick this and let it dry next week. I have lots of ripe tomatoes to sprinkle it on.
a beautiful and fragrant boxwood basil. The Genevese Broad leaf Basil, kaput, bugs!

My favorite Blue Spruce. It was a forest rescue, now it is 50 feet tall. Right now a large rabbit family lives underneath.

 A heavy leaf canopy over our lane. Soon this will be glorious colors as the maple and cherry trees lose their chlorophyll.
 Since we live in a wooded area we use lots of hostas. This is one of my favorite, a chartreuse  green with dark green borders.
 This dark green variety lines the lane and the paths around the barn.
variegated leaves

a tree stump that now is the residence of ants and visited regularly by wood peckers.

 Difficult year for the New Guinea impatiens. Despite much watering, they struggled. All of the white impatiens planted in this bed were devoured by something, not one survived.
I forget what these are, but they did fairly well.

 This motley mess are a few of the white impatiens that I popped into an urn. Leggy, spotty, peculiar.
a very, very special Lilly

the same Lilly plant, in green



Doing good with the begonias!
 Begonias in a basket.
This lantern, and its twin, light my way. It is more than special.   
Gratuity Moment: an early morning stroll, taking inventory, thinking about next year. 

Comments