Could This be any Easier? Enter the Garter Stitch Blanket-post # 1

I don't remember if I have mentioned this site before, but if not I apologize. One of the greatest places I know for great projects in several mediums. The Purl Soho site is eye candy and inspiration amped up x 10! I can spend hours there just studying the projects. It is divided into knitting and crochet, sewing and patchwork, crafts, needlepoint, embroidery, gifts, notions and tools, project bags, finishing touches, idea center, purl products and gift cards.

The colorful blanket is just right for me right now. I need to come up with a couple baby blankets, sort of quick. This may be the answer to my design dilema. Of course, knitted projects have to meet certain criteria for me since I don't consider myself a knitter per se. When this one came across my blog reader, I could hear my inner knitter say, OK this will do nicely. Enter the "Super Easy Baby Blanket."
  Color, lots of happy color. I need to come up with a blanket for a baby boy and another for ? gender. I picked up lots of yarn in the Spring with the intention of making a Granny Square blanket with a white background, similar to the charming pillow below. Of course, I still want to do that project, but this one is a little more pressing.  Back to the criteria, the pattern is a non- pattern, straight garter stitch, on a circular needle. Oh yes. 

Look at this collection of blankets, amazing color, enough to delight any baby or toddler.  I need to unearth my color wheel. Wish me luck!

The Pattern follows:

Gauge

20 stitches and 20 ridges = 4 inches in garter stitch

Finished Size

Approximately 26 inches x 28 inches

Pattern

With a US #7 needle (or size required by you to achieve the correct gauge) and the first color, loosely cast on 130 stitches.
Knit every row until there are 20 garter stitch "ridges" (1 ridge = 2 rows).
Switch to the second color at the beginning of the next row, and knit every row until there are 20 ridges.
Repeat with each color, making sure to always switch colors on the same side.
After knitting 20 ridges with the seventh color, loosely bind off.
Weave in the ends.

Gratuity Moment: babies, sweet little babies. 

Comments