The Orphan Quilt Blocks

It is a quilting week here in Sewtopia. My head is spinning with ideas and projects. So, before I have to whip up some dinner for the hungry hoards, I wanted to show you today's offering. 

In my reading I was intrigued by a article (don't remember where) about using Orphan Quilt Blocks to make a quilt. The piece was rather controversial in the sense that the word Orphan was used to describe the blocks that never made it into a finished quilt, had not found a use. Some people, not quilters, were terribly offended by what they considered to be a slanderous use of the word and its implications. The posted articles, I am sure, did not intend to have that purpose, but there you have it. Our PC society. That is not my intent here so I hope no one takes offense or attempts to create controversy.

That said, I have some, not nearly as many as long time quilters, but it did spark an idea. These were test blocks, brilliant ideas etc. that did not come to fruition. Some quilters I know have picked up these blocks at flea markets, antique shops and garage sales. Someone took great time in making them and we would like to find a use for them in quilts. This is a project in its planning stages in my Tuesday Quilt Group. In the meantime I started one of my own.

I found these blocks, probably made in the late 90's from a project that took a different direction. These were my very early piecing days. I was clueless. The points don't match and everything is a little off. I am going to pretend they are modern interpretations of an old pattern. The fabric is very good quality and the colors are working well with some strips trimmed from other yardage and left overs from other projects. The center block is the only one of its kind. It was a test block for a table runner project. It is really out of wack but modern? yes? Please say yes.

So with a little cutting and trimming fussing and fuming I put all of these crooked pieces together and there you have it.

These are the first to come out of the project at our Tuesday Sew and Sew Group. Circumstances have kept me away from the weekly get together for about a month and I was so happy to see that the group proceeded without me.

Quilt number one. We have many colors and patterns combined into one stunning little lap-quilt. It has been machine quilted and is currently having its binding applied. These blocks were just sitting around waiting for a purpose. Thanks to Rose and Kay and anyone else I might have neglected to mention. 

While there are some predominate color themes, you will notice that absolutely nothing matches but it works, beautifully.


 Betty Jane is absolutely one busy bee. She had been collecting greens for quite some time and this is what was left, in scraps. Orphan pieces and strips. Who says you can't make something great from left overs.

 Now this one did not photograph as well. The colors are really nice and complimentary and the fabrics are her left over William Morris  pieces. I particularly liked the dimensions of the recktangles she used. We measured them at 4 1/2 by 9 1/2 inches. The scale just looked right to my eye. Many of the fabrics are small prints and are truly much prettier in person. 



  Famous for using border fabrics, Betty Jane added one to this quilt and it sets it off very nicely. Also a William Morris style print.




Now please don't laugh, I forgot to take a picture of mine. That may be Freudian in nature. Who knows? I will add that.


Here is the final photo's of the Baby gift Quilt made by the group for the Music Director (of this church) and his wife to welcome their son.
the musical theme

the triple border adds a nice balance to the design
  Gratuity Moment: being back with my Quilting Friends

Comments