The Tuesday Teapot-Westerwald Pottery

Isn't she priceless? This heavy clay pottery teapot and plate come from the local Westerwald Pottery in Scenery Hill, Pa. This pot is one of my favorites because it holds the heat for a long time. The cranberry colored paint is a little unusual  and somewhat problematic for the potters I hear. It's a fussy color. Note the thumb-stop on the top of the handle and that nubby little spout. Too cute.

About Westerwald

Gratuity Moment: all these teapots have memories connected to their purchase or receipt as a gift. I remember this day very clearly. When life was much more simple. Cool,  Fall October, on a Sunday ride to the little village where my Grandparents used to live. On the edge of town, this little independent pottery is a jewel.   

Comments

Jeanneke said…
It looks a bit like Cologne pottery, of which we have lots here in Europe, The Netherlands.
Heavy clay pottery, grey-ish glazed, or deep brown. The big and heavy pots were / are used for making sauerkraut (white cabbage in salt)and other salted vegetables.!
Blue painting on the grey pots, never red.
Yours is cute and quite special. I love it!