Ta-Da! Felted Wool Keeper, Done

felting
the Babylock Felter
After toting this little project to my Tuesday Quilt group meetings, I finally finished it yesterday. I know, good thing that this was not life and death! I love working with felted wool. It cuts cleanly and the colors are spectacular. This is only the first of many. Next up is another keeper or two and a penny rug.
the inspiration, the Fall 2011 issue
This is the page where it all began





 All closed up and ready to travel, this is the first time I have done anything like this. I have learned a thing or two. First off, do not felt the flower where the button and tab will close. Duh!

Let me start at the beginning. The hexagonal template,  the body of the piece, is re-purposed from a beautiful felted melton wool  that I salvaged from husbands overcoat.
 I decided to play with the felter and needle-felted the little flowers on the larger panels. Thus the placement problem. It was an experiment, of course, but fun.



I used a cinnamon brown pearle cotton to outline stitch the fold lines and blanket stitch the edges. Since there are two layers of this wool, a heavy needle with a large eye is required.

 The inside. There are four divisions, each of the pockets formed by the stitching are reinforced with plastic canvas between the layers for stability.
There are two little pockets for tucking in threads and two looped sections for holding scissors or what ever. On another rendition I will probably use elastic, I will probably make it a little larger as well. The pattern uses a ribbon for these loops, I used a piece of bias fabric because my ribbon was straying.
 The other side of the outside with a flower-like thing felted down, the edges are fringed and unfelted.
 An over-exposed snap of the button tab.  A simple outline stitch on the cut and blanket stitch on the edges, this is only one layer of fabric.

Fully open this was a fun project. Next one will a little different. 

Gratuity Moment: discovering felted wool and this great magazine!

Comments