| Photo is of the cover of the book. It is resting on one of my antique embroidered doilies. |
On March 16th of last year (2011) I did a quick review of the new book by Amy Barickman, Vintage Notions. here I had grand intentions of doing more with the book because it is absolutely full of sewing history and information that is just as applicable today as it was when the information was originally published from 1909-1930. Inspired by the genius of Mary Brooks Picken, Amy presents a wonderful compilation of ideas from the original publications. I had just cleaned the bookshelf where this book was currently at rest and reminded myself to pull it out to re-read.
Today while watching a Sewing With Nancy on-line video about Column Quilts, I was reminded of this little jewel of a book because Nancy's guest was Amy Barickman. She was discussing this book. Divine Providence I think. (http://www.wpt.org/sewingwithnancy/) The segment with Amy is at the end of the video.
| This is one of the timely subjects for the summer months. How to make pillows to dress up your porch. |
| The book is beautifully organized, by month, photographed and printed. |
By pure ironic coincidence, Elmo, of http://adonising.blogspot.com/ had remarked in a post that she was gaining inspiration and motivation by reading some great books, including the Singer Sewing Book by Mary Brooks Picken published in 1949.
So it all comes full circle. We have computerized machines that provide us with the most technically advanced stitching ever imagined. The ladies of 100 years ago also had the most advanced information of their time. However, we have the distinct advantage of having both. If you have the opportunity, take a look at this great little book. You will be inspired.
Gratuity Moment: fortuitous reminders
*no compensation is received or implied by my book review or mentioning Sewing with Nancy videos.
Comments