Pattern Peek---Butterick Patterns, part #1

While I was not able to get the Vogue Chanel Jacket Pattern #V8804 on my trip to Joann's last week, the Butterick Patterns were on sale. I find that the patterns inspire me and just spending some time sorting through the pattern catalogs opens my creativity vault. Like a fabric stash, a pattern stash is a Sewist's good friend. So here is my Spring 2012 collection. At $1.99 per, I found a few that met my needs. To me, a commercial pattern needs to be versatile. While multi-sized patterns are now the norm, the pattern needs to be stylish, not trendy. With several options for fabrication, this pattern collection will work...this year, next year and likely for years to come. Because most of us likely do not have unlimited sewing time that versatility is important. If I don't get to any one of these this season, they will work next year as well.
B 5792
B 5792 is a sweet little nightwear collection. With short and long night gowns and perky little PJ's, it met all my needs. While I will make one for myself, I have gifts in mind and I have a charming tiny floral seersucker fabric that will be perfect. A little eyelet and lace trim, should be good. 
B 5263
As mentioned in previous posts, I am an apron girl. I cook, therefore I spot, my clothes that is. I started wearing aprons in the 90's. Long before they became a little trendy. After rushing home from the hospital I would throw on an apron to start dinner before changing into my house clothes. I ruined a few special dresses and blouses with tomato sauce etc. before the lights came on in the old noggin. Over the years I have worn them until they were thread bare and beyond repair. I also have become fond of a certain style. While the over-the-neck halter style is very cute and entirely functional, I am bothered with the neck strap. It's OK for a short period of time but then I feel like I am being choked once I put things in the pockets etc. I prefer a tabbard-style or smock-style. This pattern has it all. View A is a smock with a couple buttons closing the back. It is also reversible. View B is a short smock with a tie in the back. View C is a charming halter-style variation, it will ony work for short periods of time for me. But I very much like the way the neck strap buttons to the bib.
B 5760
This pattern was a maybe. I am not sure if I will use it but it has really good bones. A tailored, unlined jacket, a cardigan, a shirt style dress, a pencil skirt with a contour waistband and fitted pants. The advantages of this pattern are obvious and a great bargain for the sale price, particularly if you only choose one or two items in the group.   


Gratuity Moment: nothing like a sale!

Comments