Home and Hearth-A New Find


 



 Home is where the heart is. There is no place like home. Home sweet home. We have all heard these phrases, some might even have a sampler on their wall in lovely embroidery or cross-stitch that proclaim our feeling about our homes. Husband and I  built our home, back in the woods in a Pennsylvania suburb some 38 years ago. At that time, Better Homes and Gardens magazine was publishing a monthly house plan with blueprints available. I was torn between two designs. Then our contractor showed us the one ultimately decided upon. Not fancy, just a center hall two story Dutch Colonial.  As I think about it now, it was quite the project for two very young people with a 2 year old son.

Since that time I have decorated in the early married style, the furniture that I could afford style, the I have inherited some Victorian pieces so I might as well go a little that way style, but my favorite has always been a Colonial/almost primitive style. Give me a wood fire, a couple wooden bowls and some quilts and crockery and I am right at home. I think the reason is essentially comfort. I want to live in my home and I want visitors and guests to feel the warmth and comfort as well.

That said, while cruising the interwebs I came across a blog that had a sidebar ad for a new magazine, A Primitive Place and Country Journal.   It looked like my kind of read. Therefore, with great enthusiasm I ordered a subscription. Then I noted that back issues were available, well, we all can guess what happened. I ordered those as well, twice. When I realized what I did I emailed the subscription department who in turn directed me to Jeremy Doss, the Assistant Editor. Kindly, he modified my request to one bundle of the back orders and shipped them right away. I had them in my little hands in a couple days. Thank you Jeremy! Mr. Doss is an amazing and accomplished artist as well. To visit the magazine web site click here.
Photo: Pewter & Roses ~ oil on canvas ~
recently posted on the magazine site and his own site
here
Collector dolls are offered as well. This one is eigth in the series. A limited edition candle is also available.  
Mother-lode of ideas....let me just applaud the staff and contributors for this periodical. It is a good thing I had my essential work done for the day before the mail arrived, because nothing else was accomplished on the home front that afternoon. Beautiful photography and lay out, articles on how to build and/or make colonial/primitive furniture and accents for your own home, recipes, gardening, styling ideas, homesteading, and 5 home tours per magazine. Published 4 times per year, I am in love.
My Summer 2012 arrived today with a little add-on. Another subject close to my heart is the porch. I like my porch to be like another room.
I WANT THIS KITCHEN, IS ANYONE LISTENING? PLEASE!


A Penny Rug is very popular in Colonial/primitive design. In the Spring 2012 issue, Dan Weaver gives a little history and use of these charming pieces. As Sewists we appreciate the skill and work that such a project requires. I am in the process of trying to make one right now that I will share soon.  

Gratuity Moment: Thank You Jeremy Doss. Have a lovely weekend with family, friends and projects. I am working on a new quilt, made of orphan blocks and scraps. I will share next week when some of the piecing will hopefully make sense. What a wonky project!


*PS: the owner/editor of the magazine is Kristine Berg Doss, she is also wife to Jeremy. They have 4 children and obviously are extremely talented and work very hard. THIS is what America is all about. Small business owners, sharing their talent and helping others to do the same in a format that provides happiness to all who are fortunate enough to read their work and marvel at their photography. To strengthen our way of life, our culture and our history, I will continue to feature such entrepreneurs here  *without any compensation received or implied.*  
     
All photo's and images used with permission, of course.








Comments