OK, so I rarely rant here but any of us who participate in the needle arts, be it garment sewing, knitting, crochet, felting, needle-point etc., need to identify ourselves with confidence. Some of us doing it for a living, others for pleasure and many just because.
Recent on-line discussions have focused on what appears to be a mixed message media slogan...."It's not your Grand-Mothers's crafting, or is it?" In an effort to further the (purchasing) power of the arts community, this slogan is geared to the under 35's, I think. While I applaud with great vigor the younger members of our society who are embracing the needle arts, I hope that "Grand-Mother" title does not deter their enthusiasm. You know how those of us over 40, 50 or 60 bring out ick factor for some. We are not cool. Little do they know that WE invented cool, but that is a subject for another day.
This Grandmother, Rose, has created so much amazing work that I never cease to be amazed. This is the back (little blocks, pieced) of a mini-quilt that she is making. Part of a challenge project, she is quilting a little bird on the other side. The subject of the challenge is things that fly, I think. I need to start writing things down.
Her absolutely perfect stitching is on the back, the little bird on a branch. Her design.
The needle arts community need to get in front of this trend. We need to be the ones to get out there, promote our skills and talent. Use our blogs to let the retailers know that we need their products but they need to market to us as well. Our youth driven culture tends to demean over 40's people. No one wants to support the younger and developing members of the needle-arts community. (I refuse to use the word crafter. see above) more than I. So do what you can to identify the contributions of all who came before us and those who will follow.
Some are not Grandmothers and they study and practice their skills day after day, to produce fine pieces for self and for gifts.
Many of us in this Sew and Sew group make other projects beyond quilts. For example, Jennifer has been working on this piece. Her embroidery is beautiful, meticulous stitches, great color. While not a Grandmother she shares needlework passions with her Mother, also a member of our group.
And last, but not least, Susan. A world traveler, she likes to work on projects while in flight. On a recent trip she brought along these little English paper pieced blocks to assemble. She is thinking about using a dark border to make these little blocks pop.
Gertie addressed this subject in today's post and guest post as well. Gertie is the epitome of a young, talented, and insightful sewist who has thoughtfully broached the subject. Please read what she has to say. It will make you think.
http://www.blogforbettersewing.com/
http://www.melaniefalickbooks.com/news/2012/4/30/gertie-at-stc-craft-its-not-your-grandmas-crafting-or-is-it.html
Gratuity Moment: knowing so many talented Grandmothers. Take notice all you fabric designers, manufactures, publishers and notions inventors. We are all out here, we are strong and we speak with our dollars. That's all folks!
Recent on-line discussions have focused on what appears to be a mixed message media slogan...."It's not your Grand-Mothers's crafting, or is it?" In an effort to further the (purchasing) power of the arts community, this slogan is geared to the under 35's, I think. While I applaud with great vigor the younger members of our society who are embracing the needle arts, I hope that "Grand-Mother" title does not deter their enthusiasm. You know how those of us over 40, 50 or 60 bring out ick factor for some. We are not cool. Little do they know that WE invented cool, but that is a subject for another day.
This Grandmother, Rose, has created so much amazing work that I never cease to be amazed. This is the back (little blocks, pieced) of a mini-quilt that she is making. Part of a challenge project, she is quilting a little bird on the other side. The subject of the challenge is things that fly, I think. I need to start writing things down.
Her absolutely perfect stitching is on the back, the little bird on a branch. Her design.
The needle arts community need to get in front of this trend. We need to be the ones to get out there, promote our skills and talent. Use our blogs to let the retailers know that we need their products but they need to market to us as well. Our youth driven culture tends to demean over 40's people. No one wants to support the younger and developing members of the needle-arts community. (I refuse to use the word crafter. see above) more than I. So do what you can to identify the contributions of all who came before us and those who will follow.
| photo |
| this Grandmother is interpreting this photo in fabric. Yes. With her magnifying flip up lenses she painstakingly appliques the pieces. Janice is a trooper. |
Many of us in this Sew and Sew group make other projects beyond quilts. For example, Jennifer has been working on this piece. Her embroidery is beautiful, meticulous stitches, great color. While not a Grandmother she shares needlework passions with her Mother, also a member of our group.
| Like many of us, this Grandmother has a large fabric stash. In the attempt to put it to good purpose, Joan is making place mats. Functional, beautiful, conscientious. |
Gertie addressed this subject in today's post and guest post as well. Gertie is the epitome of a young, talented, and insightful sewist who has thoughtfully broached the subject. Please read what she has to say. It will make you think.
http://www.blogforbettersewing.com/
http://www.melaniefalickbooks.com/news/2012/4/30/gertie-at-stc-craft-its-not-your-grandmas-crafting-or-is-it.html
Gratuity Moment: knowing so many talented Grandmothers. Take notice all you fabric designers, manufactures, publishers and notions inventors. We are all out here, we are strong and we speak with our dollars. That's all folks!
Comments