As a follow-up and summary statement, Leah Day has a post on her blog that is comprehensive and thought provoking. It is the ongoing dilemma about copyright and the Kate Spain/Emily Ceir saga. This is a long post but thoughtfully discusses many issues.
http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.ca/2012/03/copyright-terrorism.html
Leah is probably one of the most prolific and generous Quilt Artists on the blogs. She shares her ideas willingly without specific compensation. Her online store is a for-profit, of course, but she does not expect you to pay her a royalty if you use one of her filler designs on a quilt that you happen to sell for a profit.
As unfortunate as this situation has been for the parties involved, a lesson has been learned here for sure. I am not sure how I will apply it to what I do, but I know that it has altered my thinking. I won't go on and on but there is one designer whose fabric I will not use.
Gratuity Moment: the public airing of this issue clarified some troubling problems for the quilt industry but also complicated others. Quilters need to be vocal about this issue with designers, authors, fabric producers and publishing companies. We cannot let these muddy waters inhibit one of the most creative art forms.
Comments
-Jae