Happy Easter, and a Duck Story Where She Rambles On and On

Meet my ducks. These little guys are about 3 to 4 inches tall and covered with "Big Bird" feathers. This is as close to my little farm as I have right now, but they will do. I bring them out for Easter and they sit on a high fireplace mantle because I know two dogs who would just love to play with them. 
The one on the left is in sort of a pecking position and the face forward on the one on the right seems to be displaying a bit of an attitude, don't you think? Look at those feathers on top of his head, bad feather day!

Now, on with the story. I have a life-long affection for ducks. When soon-to-be Husband and I were in our college years, I had the brilliant idea to gift him one for Easter. At that time, the local feed store sold duck and chicken babies for the holiday, sometimes they dyed them all kinds of pastel colors. Now that I think about it, we had a neighbor who had a big white sheep dog that they dyed different colors for different holidays. At the time it seemed rather funny, but now it would be considered animal abuse. Interestingly, he is now serving 10-25 for an unrelated offense. Didn't see that coming!

Back to the duck. Soon- to- be -Husband accepted the duck gift and named him Goliath. So what do you do with a duck when your parents say "no-way!" You return to college, to fraternity house, with duck in tow. Yes, that duck lived with him, in his frat house and he litter trained him! I know, you had to be there I guess. After several months Goliath grew big and strong. He waddled around the house and the yard and became a mascot of sorts, well, at least until the following Spring fling. College boys,  a little alcohol, a barbecue and a duck was a disaster waiting to happen. So, Goliath came back to live with the parents. He flourished, had his own pool. And guarded the property. Happy Ending for Goliath.

The feed store is gone now, annexed by the local fire company for something, I don't know of any stores selling chicks anymore (probably a good thing) and in spite of my best attempts, I am sort of waddling like a duck these days. But the dream lives on, I dream of my little farm/menagerie where my ducks will swim in their little pond and quack and waddle and make me smile. Think of the "Babe" movie.   

Whether you have real ducks, chicks or bunnies or not,  I hope everyone has a lovely Easter with friends and family.

Gratuity Moment: Goliath eventually was accepted and went to live at the Exhibit Farm at Round Hill Park. (parents were getting tired of the upkeep) I am sure he lived to a ripe old age paddling around and being fed tid-bits by school children on field trips.

Comments