Princess Diana Dresses-Part 1

 First, let me say that the exhibit was very well presented and the gowns were beautiful. I had no idea that there was such a complicated history connected to these gowns and this exhibit. That said, I have provided some links at the end of the post if you wish to investigate. I did meet the owner and we had a brief conversation. She seemed like a lovely person who is totally committed to preserving this legacy.
 
 This photo shows a stage panel at the far end of the exhibit, of Kensington Palace. It was very nice, very large. All the "walls" of the space were draped in black velvet. The display area was large and well planned. There were several placards describing events of her life at the time she wore these gowns.  The mood of the exhibit was rather somber. I have read accounts of other exhibits and others sense the same atmosphere. Because she died so young, I think there is a reverence for her and her belongings as a result. I don't know, if it's just perception on my part and I may not be the most objective observer.

 Since flash photography was not permitted, I am hoping that you can see some of these details.







 This dress is black velvet, probably a silk velvet. The drape and the pleating are exquisite. How I wish I could see the inside of these dresses! 
 I was attempting to show the gathered inverted V yoke here. 
   This photo may be a little better. A V-neck front and back.
The back neck closure is a Velvet Rose.


 Wow. This dress and the outstanding embroidery really can only be appreciated in person. It is stunning. The pink silk is almost translucent. 
 Tiny little beads and sequins and silk embroidery are covering the entire bodice and the jacket. 
 Note the edging on the jacket neck and front. It looks like the small trim bands are diamonds up close.


Green Velvet, beautifully draped. Many people remarked on just how small these dresses are. I think film and photo's tend to make celebrities and royals look larger than life. As a result, many people were asking what size the dresses are. Since these are all couture and made specifically for one person, at that time, sizing is not implied. To my eye they looked mostly to be about a size 4, one or two maybe a 6. But that is just a guess. She was tall and lovely. Unfortunately, also bulimic.

 Another element that I found interesting is that many of these dresses are much the same. They are fitted similarly, many use ruching to define body shape and introduce style elements. The jewel neck and long sleeves on this dress remind me of one that Wallace Simpson wore in a photo I had seen. Note also the creasing in the dress at mid-leg. Prince William had hugged her there and permanently crushed the velvet as the placard here shows.

  There is more I will share on the next post.

Gratuity Moment: Husband, with broken foot, came with me to this gigantic show and endured my wanderings. He chose to sit out the exhibit, however. He admitted later how uncomfortable he was. He is a keeper.

*some background information of the dresses, the owner and her attempts to keep the exhibit alive and intact

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/royalfamily/article/1013652--dress-worn-by-diana-during-dance-with-travolta-sells-for-800k-at-toronto-auction?bn=1


http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/dreams-for-princess-dianas-gowns-die-with-bankruptcy/1176602

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/diana/8754372/Revealed-the-fake-sale-of-Princess-Dianas-ball-gowns.html

Comments