Good Morning, all. I just came inside from walking the dogs and enjoying the rain and fog. I continue to remark to myself about our mild winter. Unfortunately, this mild equals mud. Lots of it. Eight big feet collect lots of mud! Looking at the mis-matched dapples of wet muddy feet on the floor reminded me of batik fabrics. I know, what a stretch, but you have to make lemons with lemonade. So where is this going you ask? To my Tuesday Quilt Group and some charming examples of what you can do with fabric, whether it resembles mud or not. First we have Rose's quilt of the day. Rose loves to do smalls and miniatures, but her larger quilts have the same attention to detail as the little ones.
Rose has been finishing up this beautiful Log Cabin, intended as a service quilt. Someone will be very lucky to receive this one.
This is Linda's bag. Look at all those little pieces. I need to examine this more closely. It was presented as a class I believe by another Guild member. I have also seen a similar bag made with only selvage scraps.
Now this one is actually a four patch, by Linda Sue. If you look very closely, you can see the pattern. Made in her signature pinks and purples, these batik fabrics appear to be floating to my eyel.
This is the pattern she used. She emphasizes that a design wall is essential to work this quilt.
Now hold onto your tea, this stunning Irish Chain, made by Betty Jane, is almost ready for the Guild Quilt Show at the end of March. It is not just a great example beautiful piecing, it is quilted on a domestic machine. Unfortunately, the quilting is not showing up very well. The large open blocks have tulips in the quilting. And this story gets better, she has done all this in a couple weeks. Yes, three weeks I think?
In the smaller quilt category, Susan is entering the traditional/modern star. The colors are blended seamlessly, from scraps! A wall quilt needs to have well balanced colors to maintain the pattern. That is her forte, colors.
This is Linda's bag. Look at all those little pieces. I need to examine this more closely. It was presented as a class I believe by another Guild member. I have also seen a similar bag made with only selvage scraps.
Now this one is actually a four patch, by Linda Sue. If you look very closely, you can see the pattern. Made in her signature pinks and purples, these batik fabrics appear to be floating to my eyel.
This is the pattern she used. She emphasizes that a design wall is essential to work this quilt.
Now hold onto your tea, this stunning Irish Chain, made by Betty Jane, is almost ready for the Guild Quilt Show at the end of March. It is not just a great example beautiful piecing, it is quilted on a domestic machine. Unfortunately, the quilting is not showing up very well. The large open blocks have tulips in the quilting. And this story gets better, she has done all this in a couple weeks. Yes, three weeks I think?
In the smaller quilt category, Susan is entering the traditional/modern star. The colors are blended seamlessly, from scraps! A wall quilt needs to have well balanced colors to maintain the pattern. That is her forte, colors.
And here is another surprise of the day. Do you remember my post last week about our "Cutting Bee?" Well, Pat went home and pieced this quilt top from her strips of Cutting Bee fabrics! No moss growing under her presser foo! She was testing a pattern in a book that caught her eye and this is what she made. It will be a service quilt for a local hospital nursery. That project makes quilts to cover the isolettes to block lighting and simulate day and night for the babies. They measure 30 inches square at completion. Bravo Pat! 
Gratuity Moment: How can I not be inspired and challenged by this group? I am a slow sewer. That's a fact and not likely to change. But their work and attention to detail never ceases to amaze me. This is what anyone can accomplish with and idea, some fabric and a goal. From new quilters to highly experienced, this art form is attainable to all.
Comments