The Disappearing Nine Patch-William Morris Influenced Fabrics

Well, I found the in-progress Disappearing Nine Patch blocks during the move. Each block was cut 5 inches square.
 
 These two fabrics will be sashing and borders.
The blocks, cut, the red dot  on the left is the center block for each nine patch, tans on the left tray, blues and greens on the right.










Two blocks done in tans and blues. These were already assembled before I decided to use the red center block. I will cut them and decide if I will use them during the design wall stage.






After squaring up the block, cut it through the middle horizontally and vertically. For this size ( 5 inch block) I cut at the 2 1/4 inch measure on the center block. The 9 patch can be made any size you choose.  I have seen them in very large blocks, 8 inch, and even a 2 inch block. All very nice. After the cutting you rearrange the squares to the design you choose.

 Note the two red squares in the center of the block. Any arrangement will change the overall design. When it is on the design wall, different patterns emerge.


My plan today is a full day in the studio. A rare and special event for me:) I will stitch up the rest of the blocks in this quilt that are already cut, put them on the wall, yet to be reassembled, and see what comes up. I have more William Morris theme fabric that I had set aside for another project, however, I might use it here.........



 Two blocks, side by side.
William Morris reproduction fabric.

close up of second sashing/border fabric
Gratuity Moment: finding this project, getting back to work, anticipating the finished project. Since this started in May 2011, not much lag time? right?

***link to a good tutorial for this quilt pattern
http://www.popularpatchwork.com/news/article.asp?a=5294

Comments