Mending Monday-November-Knitted Scarf with Crochet Trim

It seems that my mending has a theme. Trouser hems. During the day Son's then tend to slide down (no hips, flat bottom) and the hems drag the ground and fray.  Recently, I have been doing a simple trim and turn and re-hem.  Some of these otherwise perfectly good pants have reached their expiration, length-wise.  Not the best look in a professional office. So, what's next to add length? Lace? Drapery gimp? I have both on hand, Ummm. Husband stresses his pocket seams. In short order, the seams separate where the bottom of the pocket bag pull away from the side seam. An easy fix unless the pocket bag needs to be replaced. I have one pair of leather gloves with a cashmere lining that has separated from the cuff seam. Nothing worth getting too excited about.

So, today I share a scarf finished last night, watching TV, a football game, very painful. But the scarf turned out nicely. I love beautiful scarves but not a lot of bulk around my neck, I feel like I am choking. This one I designed and made to match a new coat.
 A self patterning non-wool yarn. It is two stranded and very soft.

I cast on 24 stitches on a #8 circular needle, knit garter stitch for 130 rows. I like this stitch for scarfs and for this yarn because the texture highlights the subtle gradations of color and the scarf looks the same on both sides. Rather than tie off with the binding I decided to crochet a little ruffle trim around all sides. Because I slip the first stitch on each row, the edges of the scarf are tight and firm, no holes, very good for adding trims. This was a simple shell of 5 double crochets, chain two on the front of each knit row. Easy. Now, the little "flower" thing just made up as I went along. It is two circles. The larger one started as 10 single crochet into the loop, join with a slip stitch and then the second row is two double crochet in each loop to equal twenty in all and tie off. The larger one is made the same way with twenty single crochet into the loop and and two double crochet into each loop before tie off. I leave 4 inch tails at the tie off. Place the smaller one atop the longer and pull the tail through the back to secure. I then pulled the tail through the scarf and looped it through a couple stitches for the photo. A little pin or button with a clip back will work also.


I apologize for the dullness of the color, I took these photo's around mid-night, my favorite time to work. I know, go to sleep.


I styled this with a sweater because I will be able to wear it this way also.

I have also seen such a scarf style with a belt around the waist, I tried to capture this look but the belt kept falling down. Duh, I could have laid it flat for the photo. Remember it was late, and we lost the game. 
 
 My cabbage rose close up. If this yarn were thinner, the center of the rosette would be more open and I would add a little button.

the full length view
  Gratuity Moment: another beautiful weather week for us, second week in November, I have more tulips to plant. A gift from Cousin, orange tulips!

Comments