My plan today was to document a Holiday Open House Field Trip to Quilters Corner, Finleyville, Pa. I did go. So did every other quilter in western Pennsylvania. There were so many people in the shop it was impossible to photograph anything and the staff was so busy and a little overwhelmed I think that I opted not to ask to walk around snapping away. This is a great shop with outstanding fabric and notions selection. What I feel is a key component for any quilt shop, knit shop, or bead shop is samples. Lots of samples. This is an email I received yesterday announcing the days events.
Lots of eye candy here, always. Classes are informative and friendly. The reason I stayed out of quilt shops for a year (2010) in the attempt to use up my stash, was because I loose my inhibitions as soon as I see all that fabric, the quilt samples, the books that beckon my mind to endless possibilities. So, forgive me if I could not resist a few treasures. I actually have some plans for these fabrics as well.
Don't you just love anything pre-cut? I know I sure do. This collection is exactly what I was looking for. I have a pattern that I will modify to use them uncut. See, I am shameless!
Here is the package opened and fabrics fanned out. The fabric is by Moda, Howard Marcus. "Collection for a Cause-Hope-1830-1840. My friend who is trying to get me to lighten up on the colors will probably not be impressed!
A girl can never have enough fat quarters, right? right?
This collection is from Kansas Troubles named "Warm Memories." Lots of reds, orchre, green and mustards. Is there a theme here? Yes. If your follow this blog you already know that I said that the next quilt that I make will be one that I like, it may not be with these fabrics exactly, but it will be what I like.
Kansas troubles again in a Jelly Roll named "Perennials." The background fabric is Is tans and off-whites by Quilting Treasures, Nancy J. Smith and Lynda S. Milligan. It is named "Possibilities."
Caution, Mini-Rant Ahead.
| |||||||||||||||||||||||
| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Don't you just love anything pre-cut? I know I sure do. This collection is exactly what I was looking for. I have a pattern that I will modify to use them uncut. See, I am shameless!
Here is the package opened and fabrics fanned out. The fabric is by Moda, Howard Marcus. "Collection for a Cause-Hope-1830-1840. My friend who is trying to get me to lighten up on the colors will probably not be impressed!
A girl can never have enough fat quarters, right? right?
This collection is from Kansas Troubles named "Warm Memories." Lots of reds, orchre, green and mustards. Is there a theme here? Yes. If your follow this blog you already know that I said that the next quilt that I make will be one that I like, it may not be with these fabrics exactly, but it will be what I like.
Kansas troubles again in a Jelly Roll named "Perennials." The background fabric is Is tans and off-whites by Quilting Treasures, Nancy J. Smith and Lynda S. Milligan. It is named "Possibilities."
| closeup |
Caution, Mini-Rant Ahead.
Interestingly the selvage has the warning statement "... License is required for any use beyond individual consumption." So, what does all this mean? If I make an item for sale and just happen to use some of this fabric I have to ring up somebody and ask if it is OK and give them a license.Which license, my drivers license? My professional license? A tax ID number, what? Here is how I view these "warnings" get over it.
If you design a pattern, have it made into a fabric for sale, I pay probably $2.00 to $3.00 per yard more than it is worth, that I can only use it in my home or the home of a friend or relative? No where on the selvage, where everything else is printed, does it document or imply a copywright. I did not see anything on the end bolt to indicate this either. I believe in respecting copyrights, but this confuses me. Do you want to sell this fabric or not? I will never purchase another piece of fabric if this is printed on it.This a nice print but it isn't that great, there are probably 100 more, very similar, in this shop alone!There are plenty of designers out there who want their fabric used.
OK, I'm done.
Hope you are feeling better soon J.
Have a great week-end everyone.
Gratuity Moment: the electric feeling I receive when surrounded by like-minded people, quilters with great plans and grand ideas.
*ps, the red patterned coverlet on the table is from Family Heirloom Weavers in Red Lion, Pa. (near York) I have several pieces from there. On a recent trip they let me tour the factory. The looms are amazing, very old. This family owned business makes authentic patterns for linens and carpets etc. Here is a link to their website.
http://www.familyheirloomweavers.com/
Comments