Yesterday and today I spent 4 hours or so putting the Fall/Halloween Quilt top together. Can I just say, boring. I like the designing, the planning, the fabric sourcing and the first couple blocks then I just go to auto pilot to get it done. Again, boring. Sewing long strips of fabric to each other just isn't fun to me. Perhaps because this quilt (colors etc chose by Husband) do not thrill me. Oh well, on we go. This is the first half done.
Because he chose the mottled golden sashing, of which I have less yardage, I have to piece the strips. I prefer the right angle piecing versus the straight edge. I just think it looks better and I prefer the way it hides in the piece. My method is simple:
Lay the strips right side together at a right angle. Off-set the strips to form a diagonal, mark it, stitch it, trim off that left over triangle. Do not stretch as you sew, a pin or two will keep the bias edge from stretching.
Some people press this seam open, I usually do not.
I usually fold it back on itself to make sure I am stitching the angle correctly.
Gratuity Moment: half done
Because he chose the mottled golden sashing, of which I have less yardage, I have to piece the strips. I prefer the right angle piecing versus the straight edge. I just think it looks better and I prefer the way it hides in the piece. My method is simple:
Lay the strips right side together at a right angle. Off-set the strips to form a diagonal, mark it, stitch it, trim off that left over triangle. Do not stretch as you sew, a pin or two will keep the bias edge from stretching.
Some people press this seam open, I usually do not.
I usually fold it back on itself to make sure I am stitching the angle correctly.
| when assembled, you can hardly see the seam |
Comments