Design Wall, The Whole Quilt Wrestling Thing, Part 2

 Hope your week-end is off to a good start. I plan to get some quilting done the next couple days. Halloween will be here and Husband will be quilt-less!  While not much sewing has happened here in the last week, I did find time to finish up a little project that has been waiting in the wings.

end of season hydrangea


 These cuttings came from a lovely bush that starts out blue, turns pink, and now green and red. Color, the red hue is so autumn. I dry these each season and use them in arrangements until they disintegrate. 

All these little "finishing projects" close the season for me. While there is much more to do outside, today I tackled the assembly of the new design wall.

Good Grief! I am not a tent camper, motor home camping is more my speed. There is a reason for that. The assembly of the (dreaded) tent and all its little bits.  This design wall gave me flashbacks. Enter the quilt wrestlers delight, the "Cheryl Ann's Portable (?) Free Standing (?) Design Wall."  Now, I must say once I got it together, and make no mistake....some bad words were used, it will work.  I bought the large one, 72 inches by 72 inches, because I felt it would be the most versatile. Suggested retail is $139.95. I ordered it from Nancy's Notions, a special I think for $79.95. I can design small to large quilts, or several small things at one time.
 It comes in its own little tote bag. It only weighs about 7 pounds which is really convenient for carrying and storage. Now to be honest, this thing really frustrated me on the first put-up. The diagram and the directions were good, I just had some problems with certain things. I originally had planned to photograph each step, however, I started assembling this in my living room, I moved furniture, secured lamps (because everything was ba-woing-ing around.) The little corner caps flew off, lodging under furniture and here and there. They are black and on dark carpet on a cloudy day, I had so many lights on looking for the little buggers that airplanes were circling the house waiting to land.

 There are 6 poles that come all folded up and stretch by an internal elastic cord and each end fits into the other. It reminded me of the Magic Wand that came in a Magic Show Game my sister received as a gift. Luckily, it didn't work, she tried many times to make me disappear. At the end of each pole the elastic cording is knotted and secured so it doesn't slide into the pole. 1 of the poles had a knot that was too large to fit into the corner bracket pieces, but it did fit into one leg section with persuasion.
Fully assembled. I moved the whole operation to a much larger room because 72 x 72 is bigger than I thought. 
 
 This is the back. The fabric is a nice quality flannel. Hemmed on all sides and turned back to make casings for the poles to slide through. One feeds through each side. Then one pole snaps onto each side. Tension is required to get the poles to slide into their fittings. One pole is supposed to be bowed when completed. Both of mine are bowed a bit. 
 This is the little side clip that holds the cross bows together.

  The floor brackets snap like the sides.  Now  the DW (I have to name or label everything, I know, a little odd, but I am working on it!  BTW, DW does not necessarily mean "Design...... ) so it is standing of its own power here, but make no mistake here, a minor bump or breeze and the walls will come tumbling down. My plan is to put some sort of weight to sit on the little cross bar on the bottom.


Conclusions:
  • Pro-I got it on sale, yea!
  • Con-I thought it would be easier to put together
  • Pro-the large size will be great for design, spare my silk curtains
  • Con-the large size is really a space hog, where can I put this for long periods of time?
  • Pro-the cover is washable, after finally getting it together a few times, it will need it
  • Con-I really wrestled with the assembly
  • Pro-I usually do better with things like this the second time around
Summary: it is a good wall, large and certainly an adjunct if you like to design or even if you just want to watch your progress on a quilt. Staging it in a way. One of my reasons for getting this was to be able to take it to my quilt group for us to lay out our projects. We make a lot of charity scrap quilts with odd fabrics that need to be balanced for color and tone. I am not sure that this will be worth the wrestling. I will see. There is always the micro fleece and drapery method.

Gratuity Moment: the technical drawings and instructions included were good.

Disclaimer: I am in the middle of some serious dental work, metal pieces being removed, metal pieces added, pain (despite excellent dentist) and I am a little testy. That may have contributed to the level of frustration, I need to break down and take a pill.

As always, I receive no compensation from anyone for anything or product mentioned in this blog.








Comments

ELMO said…
Interesting, I am tempted to make one out of plumbing PVC. I really don't have space for it, I think I need a bigger house.