A Quick Re-Dress

With time passing quickly and not much work getting done, I wanted to share a quick sew-up for my kitchen. Home Dec, I know, I hear moaning in the background, is one of those sewing niche's that you either like or hate. I like. Quick change, easy sew, perks me up. I do like the little projects when I don't have the time or inclination for a challenge. When I say these windows have had more curtains made for them than Imelda Marcos has shoes, this is the truth. There is something very dress able about these two windows. Anyway, I had this fabric lolling around the quilting stash for ages. I think I picked it up because I like the Jacobean style print. Must have been a phase at the time. I have no idea where I got it.
  Large florals on  speckled background of off-white. The florals are primarily red and blue with greens and browns in the vines.

This is 100% cotton and was pre-washed prior to sewing. I pressed and starched the yardage and the final panels but the fabric has sort of a crepy-wrinkle that insists on hanging around. It is all right though, I never leave any of them up too long. It is behaving sort of like a cheaper fabric, could be.
Absolutely no compromising the national brain trust here. I took the 45 inch wide fabric and cut it right up the middle. I turned the edges 1/2 inch to enclose the raw edge, then turned it up another 1/2 inch, stitched them down. Then I made a rod-pocket casing by just turning the raw edge up one inch, measure down two  and 1/2 inches, stitched it down. This is the bottom seam of the casing. Then I stitched a row 1 inch from the top. Ta Da, a two inch casing. I turned the hem the same way and just stitched a two inch hem. I had some other red fabric left over from another project, made two little tie-backs, done. This set cost me about 1hour of time.
this window is 48 inches wide and about 62 inches sash to sill, please forgive photo quality, a large thundercloud was directly overhead when I shot this.........the window looks out on my back patio, almost dead impatiens, and my favorite galvanized watering can
this smaller window, 32 x 30 looks out over my herb garden.
This panel is cut 1/2 the size of the window, the edges hemmed, a 2 inch rod pocket as above and each end gathered up with the left over tie-back fabric too. 

Gratuity Moment: truthfully, I am struggling here, perhaps spray starch??? you should have seen the fabric prior to steam and starch!

Comments