Prewash or Not? That Old Can of Worms!

 I Am Not Surprised that this is still a topic among quilters.
worms

If you have ever spent time among quilters, you have heard the pro and con arguments. This subject surfaced again recently and there are almost as many theories as quilters, but essentially it breaks down to Yes and No. My reasons to wash are much like others. While this process refers to quilt fabrics, I also wash all garment fabrics. However, if the fabric is not washable I steam it or have it dry cleaned. While this is a personal preference, I feel better knowing the fabric is cleaned.

 Dirt:
During the manufacturing and distribution process, the fabric is exposed to all kinds of dust and debris and perhaps not so clean handlers. I prefer not to have that in my home, on my cutting table or near my machines.

Sizing:
In processing, the fabric is treated with multiple chemicals and stabilizers. I actually have reactions to these. If I spend too much time in a fabric store (kills me) I have itchy tearing eyes and sniffles. When I am around my own washed fabrics, this does not happen, thus I wash.

Bleeding:
We have all heard horror stories of the glorious red and white quilt that was ruined after washing. That is because the fabric was not tested prior to use. On dark fabrics I cut a 2 to 3 inch square, put it in tepid water and let it soak for about 30 minutes. If the water is clear, it can be washed in the machine. If it bleeds, I probably will not use it for a quilt. This bleeding tends to occur with reds, purples and some blues, occasionally a green. Better safe than sorry I say. If there is no bleed after the test, I toss in in the washer, on a delicate cycle with cool water and a mild detergent. To avoid knots and raveling on the cut edge I sometimes cut a corner angle. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. I think the overall thread count, if it is high, limits the amount of fray. There are several commercial products available to stop dye migration. A good investment in my mind.
pre-washed, dried and pressed fabrics for the Fall/Halloween quilt


Shrinkage:
There are two thoughts about this. Some people really like the "Vintage" look that the puckers evoke. I like both looks, but for different reasons. Mostly I prefer the non-puckered look for my new quilts. Because different fabrics shrink differently, the pre-wash reduces pucker.

Pressing:
After washing, I put the fabric into the dryer and remove it before it is completely dry. I then clean up any frayed edges, straighten the grain, starch lightly and press until the fabric is dry. I usually press the fabric before storage if I am not using it immediately, but sometimes not. A quick repress is all that is required when I am ready to cut.

Flannel is sort of the exception to this rule. If I have flannel yardage, I serge the cut edge and wash as usual, if I have pre-cut flannel pieces, I do not wash. I consider the resulting shrinkage part of the "ragging" process and the subsequent shrinkage as a design feature.

Gratuity Moment: stable dyes in our quilting fabric that limit the dreaded bleed

*worm photo source:
File Name: worms.jpg Size: 288x456 pixels

Comments