It's The Little Things

While major projects are on hold, my sewing projects are not entirely. A week or so ago I popped into Joann's looking for some Fall theme fabrics. I was not disappointed. Granted, I think I am very fortunate to have two large Joann's in my area. Things have improved over the last two years. For this I am grateful. I chose this piece for a quick table cloth for my kitchen.
 The background is a two toned plaid, beige neutrals. The pumpkins and oak leaves are vibrant fall colors. This particular fabric is interesting because of the selvage markings. These David Textile people are warning me every 16 inches or so along the selvage that I better not sell anything I make from their fabric. Truthfully, if I had noticed that before I bought it, I would probably have passed on it. Anyway, all I needed was a simple hem-it-up on four sides table cloth.  This makes me want to  make sure all the labels have been torn from my pillows and mattresses!!


The fabric is cute. I just pressed the selvage edge and folded the cut ends 1/2 inch and another 1/2 inch, mitered the corners and that's it. I used a stitch a little larger, about a 3.0,  because at the end of the season, it will again return to yardage for a different use next year. You may see it as place mats, tote-bags or curtains next fall!


A quick press and pin.

 A mitered corner.


 Rocky and I spent about 30 minutes bonding over this project. Don't you just love the sound of an old mechanical machine? I know, I have a thing for sewing machines :) :) :0


This cloth is 2 yards of fabric, there are fold-down leaves on either side of this table. 2 yards is just enough. It seems incongruous to be bringing out the fall stuff when it is 85 degrees outside.

Gratuity Moment: once again, My Rocky!

this machine has multiple u-tube video demonstrations.   If you need a chuckle click on this one, the background sounds are worth the look, really!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVhov6rhlEE&NR=1

Comments