Word of Mouth Makes it Good


 Good Morning Stitchers.
 Posted: 10 Aug 2011 04:00 AM PDT
 I am in the midst of dealing with some health issues this week and I apologize for the scant posting. However, I needed to jump in with this tidbit. If you are familiar with Collette Patterns, you know a quality independent pattern company. Well, Sarai announced a book release today.  This looks like it will be a wonderful resource for beginning and intermediate sewers. If you go to her site,   http://www.coletterie.com/   you can read the full announcement and pre-order on Amazon. Sarai has built this little company on her own and acknowledges that word-of-mouth advertising by blog readers has been a key to her success.    Her site offers wonderful tutorials and information. This book with expand that with patterns as well. I already have placed my order!

Recent conversations about darts are discussed in one of her recent posts.

1. Tutorial-Colette Patterns
  • Darts, straight, curved and double legs, a nice and simple explanation of what darts are and how to achieve good results.   http://www.colettepatterns.com/blog
  • My experience with darts improved with practice, of course, but this is a tip I learned long ago from a long lost source. After marking your seam lines, the dart needs to be stabilized during stitching. Pinning is an excellent way, however, on some fabrics (slippery fabrics, some knits and heavy fabrics)  I like to baste the dart. Mark stitching lines,  secure with a single pin on the leg and about 1/2 inch beyond the point of the dart. With a silk thread in a matching color, baste the dart on the inside of the stitching line, through the center of the dart. If the dart is large or the fabric is  thick I like to trace the center fold line with thread as well that way I know the fold is straight.    When stitching the dart, taper off gradually to stop before the end at the point. Sometimes only 1 or 2 threads before the end of the point is all that is required to avoid the dreaded dimple. 
Another new designer you may want to know:
  • If you want to view  stunning creations from a new designer, you need to visit Recollection, Sandra Murphy's site. Beautifully designed classic pieces with a 1940's, 50's, 60's  nod to style. You will want to copy all of it, the 2011 Fall line is up now, go see.  http://www.sandra-murphy.com/home.html


*as usual, I receive absolutely no compensation for any endorsements

Gratuity Moment: a little cool down here, crisp, clean, sunny air. Maybe a wee little hint of fall?

    Comments