Reminder-September is National Sewing Month

A quick stop at the local Joann's yesterday proved successful. I was pleasantly surprised to find the store stocked with nice new fall fabrics. Some very nice wool and wool blends, some new knits (ponte roma) and lovely blouse weight fabrics. Still no luck in finding nice white shirting, but the search continues. I went with the intent of sourcing new fabrics but also to pick up the Connie Crawford shirt/blouse pattern, Butterick 5300. After reading the Pattern Review site comments, I thought I would try this line one more time. The sizing options in this pattern provide lots of opportunity for fitting.

On that note I have deemed September to be my month for blouse/shirt focus. In my part of the world it is usually still warm in September with the chill coming in October. A fresh new collection of blouses will serve me well before the dreaded coat season approaches.  I am searching the extensive pattern collection for other candidates for this month's projects and using up some stash fabrics as well. 


What I picked up yesterday:
  • some cheater pre-made binding for husbands Halloween/Fall quilt. Time is running out, only 7 days left in my self-imposed August Quilt Month focus. Yikes!
  • they had a nice little sale on pre-packaged lightweight Pellon interfacing. Picked 1 package, 10 yards. Normally priced at $9.00, it was $6.00.
  • I plan to use a 12 inch center block on the Halloween quilt, with pumpkin and leaf applique. I picked up a fresh package of Steam-a-Seam 2. What I had in my stash had passed its use by date in my opinion. Sort of dried out.
  • I had to break down and buy a new French Curve ruler, the Styling Design Ruler. My old one has been lost in the move from studio to current space. This one is actually 4 rulers in one with hip curves, French curve, straight ruler, and cut out slots for marking grain lines. 
  • Another copy of Mollie Makes, the #3 issue. There are lovely little crocheted flowers on the cover and much more inside that I haven't had time to study yet. I'll review that once I have a chance to study it. On the surface, however, I think this periodical is not my style. 
 And of course, National Sewing Month is coming up. Be sure to support those shops that cater to sewers of all types. I feel it is essential to promote sewing and all needle crafts and to educate our future craftspeople. According to the web site, "The observance of National Sewing Month began in 1982 with a proclamation from Ronald Regan." The web site is"

http://www.nationalsewingmonth.org/

SEPTEMBER IS NATIONAL SEWING MONTH
header_left_650a
HOW DO YOU SEW?
header_right_a



Gratuity Moment: inspiration from new fabrics, maybe I will finally make that new coat???

Comments

Jeanne Marie said…
Thanks for the head's up on National Sewing Month. I love the resurgence in sewing. I put a button on my blog to spread the word.