Several hours of sewing later, the pieces are coming together. I have quite a few blocks done but now I think I will change the design.
I will likely make a large center block in theme. I am thinking pumpkin applique or candy corn or something similar. I would then build the 9 patch blocks around it.
This idea came to mind when I was going through my tear sheets in my Idea Books. Like many quilters, I buy lots of magazines about quilting, as do my quilting friends. We look at them and pass them around. After they circulate I restudy them and tear out only those projects that I might actually make. All the fillers and advertisements are too much paper to store. I still have about 100 magazines to sort through, but I have been trying to keep current and will catch up on the older ones when time permits. To do this I purchased two Large 3-ring binders at Staples. I also picked up a box of acrylic sheet envelopes to store and protect the pages. I go through them frequently.
I further used tab sheets to break my collection into categories: stars, applique, large blocks, 9 patch, 4 patch, specific holidays, small projects, etc. etc.
This particular quilt has caught my eye for an inspiration fabric given to me by quilting friend, Susan. I will detail that in another post.
But, as you can see, each envelope holds all the photo's and patterns, including any templates or applique sheets that I would need to do that quilt.
Of course, to even do a fraction of these quilts I will need to live to age 200! My joy from this project is the inspiration I receive looking at the collection, the ideas that spring to mind, and the sense of color and combinations that I am studying.
The downside to all this is I keep finding more and more things to add to my list! This Christmas Applique piece has just totally tweaked my interest. It can be used as a wall hanging or a table topper. This one came from "The Quilter" January 2009. Designed by Nona Davis inspired from an antique quilt. There is an interesting story attached that I will include in another post if I do indeed decide to make it. Since it is applique it could be a portable project or a quick fuse & machine stitch piece. Yikes, too many quilts, too little time!
Gratuity Moment: things to do during a sleepless night ^^
I will likely make a large center block in theme. I am thinking pumpkin applique or candy corn or something similar. I would then build the 9 patch blocks around it.
This idea came to mind when I was going through my tear sheets in my Idea Books. Like many quilters, I buy lots of magazines about quilting, as do my quilting friends. We look at them and pass them around. After they circulate I restudy them and tear out only those projects that I might actually make. All the fillers and advertisements are too much paper to store. I still have about 100 magazines to sort through, but I have been trying to keep current and will catch up on the older ones when time permits. To do this I purchased two Large 3-ring binders at Staples. I also picked up a box of acrylic sheet envelopes to store and protect the pages. I go through them frequently.
I further used tab sheets to break my collection into categories: stars, applique, large blocks, 9 patch, 4 patch, specific holidays, small projects, etc. etc.
This particular quilt has caught my eye for an inspiration fabric given to me by quilting friend, Susan. I will detail that in another post.
But, as you can see, each envelope holds all the photo's and patterns, including any templates or applique sheets that I would need to do that quilt.
Of course, to even do a fraction of these quilts I will need to live to age 200! My joy from this project is the inspiration I receive looking at the collection, the ideas that spring to mind, and the sense of color and combinations that I am studying.
The downside to all this is I keep finding more and more things to add to my list! This Christmas Applique piece has just totally tweaked my interest. It can be used as a wall hanging or a table topper. This one came from "The Quilter" January 2009. Designed by Nona Davis inspired from an antique quilt. There is an interesting story attached that I will include in another post if I do indeed decide to make it. Since it is applique it could be a portable project or a quick fuse & machine stitch piece. Yikes, too many quilts, too little time!
Gratuity Moment: things to do during a sleepless night ^^
Comments