The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown Down

I have mentioned, in the past, that I struggle with strong and vibrant colors. I totally adore them, but when it comes to working with them and/or designing with them, I balk. I consider this a major roadblock to advancing my quilting skills. Actually, someone else does too. Quilting Friend Susan presented me with a fabulous piece of fabric from a recent trip she made to Portsmouth,  New Hampshire.  (  http://portsmouthfabric.com/ )   While there she visited the Portsmouth Fabric Company. Let me just say this photo does not do it justice. Now I need to challenge myself and come up with a pattern, a design, a plan. Fortunately she has not included a time limit, knowing me, it may take a while!
 
 Liberty Marylebone collection, Liberty Art Fabric Ltd. For Rowan Westminster.

beautiful

 To my eye, the central pink/red floral is the predominate color and pattern. However, to another eye it is the beautiful light green that threads through the entire piece.

Aside from the red floral, I agree that the green does dominate. Now the question is how do I use this fabric. I have been searching my patterns for ideas and inspiration. Should I use this for piecing blocks? Should this be a border fabric? Don't know, a lot of thinking will be required.



Westminster: WFI has had a long working relationship with both Liberty of London and artist, Kaffe Fassett.
Liberty, WFI, and leading Rowan designer, Kaffe Fassett, each have a strong global presence and recognized the opportunities for growth by partnering together to develop a new line of co-branded fabrics called Liberty Art Fabrics.
Our first collection was introduced in October, 2009, and these new fabric collections interconnect original artwork from the Liberty textile archives which date back to 1875 with Kaffe’s design inspiration and unique sense of glorious colors. All of the prints for the Liberty Art Fabric collections will be selected by Kaffe from the Liberty archives, and he will then decide on the scale and colors for the designs. **I found this background data somewhere on a quilt shop site and now I cannot identify just where. I will search again through my history files to attempt to verify the information and the author.


Gratuity Moment: needless to say, Susan, for challenging my color aesthetic

Comments