Book Review-Embellish, Stitch, Felt

Being a fan of Amazon.com., they kindly e-mail me when a book comes along that they think I would appreciate. Lucky me. I am a book hound, they know me well. Anyway, when they dangled the line on this one, I bit. As you know I am much the novice with the whole felting experience and my Embellisher has been sitting patiently waiting for its turn in the focus project rotation. Since I have so little experience, any inspiration is good....I think. Enter this book:  Embellish, Stitch, Felt   by Sheila Smith. A UK based felt-maker, she has taught her craft around the world and writes for several publications.

A lovely book with beautiful photography, it covers felting techniques from needle felting, wet felting, needle-punch embellisher machines, like mine, to applique, textures and dimensional art. There is even a section on dying and creating cloth.






Absolutely beautiful work in glorious wools and yarns's.

One of my favorite sections deals with using repurposed wool sweaters. After wet felting them, she makes them into lovely little handbags while adding embellishments and handles. I see a project in my future. However, since I have no wool sweaters due to my skin sensitivity, I will need to hit a thrift store or two to find just the right piece to felt.


 


Like this one for example.






or perhaps this one, my favorite!

Other projects include wall art, scarves and embellishments for other garments.

As beautiful as this is, it is rather artsy for my taste but I know someone with a bohemian style who would love it in pinks and purple!











Gratuity Moment: off and on rainy day that lent itself well to reading and knitting:)
***as always, I receive no compensation for reviews or endorsements

Comments