August, the Month of Quilting

I think I like dedicating a month at a time for specific projects. When you have so much that you want to accomplish, narrowing the focus seems to help me. I finally had time to work on some quilting. My first project for the afternoon was to make my nine patch blocks for the group project. Due tomorrow. I don't like being up against a deadline, so it was time to get moving, there was no choice. This is a fall/not Halloween palette.
This palette is orange, not icky pink. The leaf print is a beautiful fall palette. These are finished at 6  1/2 inch blocks.


Being thrilled to have blocked out this time to sew, I had many fabrics chosen to start my nine patch collection for the gift quilt in a similar palette.

Then came the thunderstorms, one after the other. I checked that my power surge unit was functioning well, and continued to sew.

We have a very large dog who is my guardian and protector, living back in the woods, he takes his job seriously. Then comes the thunder and this giant animal becomes a little puppy who shakes and cries. He has to be touching someone while all this goes on to calm down.  Today he chose to help me sew. Now remember, my sewing space is small, but he was OK sitting under my desk, head on my knee while I sewed.
    He just barely fits under there, and that head, that great big head just won't go in!
 A little extra checking on matching up the seams was required, the tail, that big tail kept brushing against the fabric.
 I like to use a folded piece of fabric as a leader before stitching into the fabric. It insures that the first stitches are secure.
 I frequently check my 1/4 inch seam, I even pin most of the time to avoid shifting of the seam. I have a little stack of post-it notes to the right of the foot to create a seam guide.  
the leader and the post-it notes

strip sets, unpressed, will likely use black for alternate blocks, or sashing, making this up as I go along! 
In four hours of sewing I managed to get 20 strip sets sewn from fat quarters from my stash. They aren't pressed yet, but I am happy. Accomplishment.

Gratuity Moment: the stars  aligned, the sewing Gods were generous, 4 hours, a miracle!

Comments