Moving Day, Feng Shui, the stuff

Have you ever been creatively stalled? Not because you don't have good ideas, not because you don't have supplies needed, but because the flow is all wrong. When I moved from my large studio space I tried to contain as much as possible in a large closet in my bedroom. Then I decided I needed to keep my cutting table and supplies in the same room. Now this room is large, but the advantage to converting the closet was that I could close the door and the "stuff" would be out of sight. Enter the cutting table, the mats, the tools, the mini-ironing board, the dry iron, the steam iron, etc, etc. Enough! I couldn't get into the room through the front door because I had blocked it with a chair and ottoman that I used for relaxed hand stitching. I had to circle the table to get to the bathroom and the back door. Everywhere I looked there was a sewing project in progress or waiting impatiently for attention. So, I moved it into a spare bedroom where husband has his office/hobby area. It is cozy, but for now it will have to do.

my new cutting corner, the front leaf is down and I will put it up when I need more space. the second mat is under the one you see. they are happier when they are flat. the rose red linen is resting patiently in its box, the rocks and washers are waiting to hold down a pattern, any pattern.
The book shelf to the left is a project my FIL made in wood shop in high school.  (by the way, he is 85 years old) It has been around let me say. It needs a sorting out because the top two shelves are very cluttered and their purpose has been lost. The bottom two shelves hold magazines in organizers from IKEA. They are cardboard and I had every intention of covering them with pretty wall paper. Got the paper, got the cardboard, just not in the same place, yet. In the middle is a little drop down desk, when I can open it without stuff falling out it will be re-purposed again. Can you imagine the tales this little piece could tell?

 First I apologize for the clutter but this is about as good as this gets. This is a standard double closet but it is 30 inches deep. That leaves enough room to set up the machines with room behind them. That slightly sagging top shelf has patterns, books, tear sheets in binders, and quilt blocks and fabrics in IKEA shoe boxes. The left and the right side of the closet have about another 20 inches of space on each side, behind the door.

 On the left back wall I have tacked little things such as a teflon ironing sheet, an organizer basket, etc.

In the top left corner you can see the quilts in their little boxes. I like that the contents are visible through the little windows.
 The grande-dame Bernina serger/cover-stitch machine. An ott light when I need color confirmation, it is a natural light. Behind that is a wooden grooved board that holds rulers for quilting and other tools. I keep a small cutting mat to the left of my machines for trimming etc.
 The bottom of the closet it well used. I have a tape measure taped to the front of my desk, I can't tell you how often I need to use that. I have two plastic organizing carts that you can see in this photo and two others on the right, out of sight. My little Featherweight is in her case there too for now. I use the large IKEA baskets on the left to store more patterns. 
 This is the upper right of the space. I have hoops on the wall to keep them from getting warped, and small plastic organizers for ribbon, buttons and bias trims. Note all those free-motion quilting samples hanging around.

Another serger, old faithful Janome 634 D is outside the closet on a file cabinet. It is threaded with black thread. The file cabinet holds hand quilting supplies, interfacings and stabilizers.








I slept like a rock last night. Have I satisfied the whims of Feng Shui? I really don't know, but I am happier. This reorganization took an entire day plus to redistribute stuff. I know you can not organize clutter, but I still try:)))  

Gratuity Moment: generous husband, sharing space, no whining. He still thinks I have too much stuff but you should see his stuff! 

Comments