Pattern Weights-they aren't pretty, but they work

before

after
If you use paper patterns, tedious pinning can eat up precious sewing time. I resisted the whole pattern weight issue for quite a while but have now been totally won over. Now, I am a pinner. While sewing I pin, that will not change, and if I am not pinning, I am basting. I feel the need to secure those seams in progress.

Anyway, these are Electrical Conduit things. I found them at Home Depot. They measure 4 inches and 2 inches. Made from cast aluminum, they are just heavy enough. They have little flange-like things that stick out and I didn't want them to snag fabric so I covered them. I just wrapped a stretchy muslin seam binding around and around then used a few stitches to secure the ends. Yes, they are not pretty. If you Google "Pattern weights" you will find multiple entries to recreate or purchase out there. Some really great ideas. My other favorite weight I mentioned in a prior post are those charming rocks. Since the cutting part is my least favorite part of the sewing process, I need all the help I can get!

Gratuity Moment: the men (3) in the plumbing department at Home Depot who helped me look for what I needed. They presented everything from toilet phlanges to vent covers, they tried, they really did, thanks Guys! (these were in the electrical supply dept:)

Comments

Susan said…
Your post reminds me of a recent discussion at 1 of my quilting groups. The subject was "What tools do you use for sewing that are really not meant for sewing." People came up with many tools. One person mentioned circular carpet cutters found at Harbor Freight. They are round blades & fit in my 45mm rotary cutter. But the best part, they are half the price of the blades you but at Joanne's or at a quilt shop & work just as well. One of my favorite tools to use is a dry wall t-square. It is perfect for use when squaring up a quilt!
I should try this. One of my least favorite things about sewing is pinning the pattern pieces to the fabric! It is rather time consuming.