Day 5 Hiatus-The Redistribution of Fluff

If you have read much on this blog you would have seen my assistant, Bertie. She is an amicable person, keeps her mouth shut and her opinions to herself, always a good thing when we are discussing form and size. For many years I used my favorite dress-form. She was small. As the time passed, however, she needed adjustments to more mimic my aging body and the gravitational pull it has experienced.  I would add a bit of fiberfill here and there and it worked out pretty good. Unfortunately, she was getting past the point of no return. Her plastic was cracked and her cover was peeling and lifting. But the final insult occurred when her base pole broke away from the armature frame. She was done, kaput, finis! So off to the internet I go. Much research revealed many pro's and con's. I had a dollar figure in my head and narrowed my search down to the My Twin.

She came in a large box. First clue. With minimal assembly she stood there, in her gray suit, rather statuesque. With disdain I named her Big Bertha. What a shock to see my shadow just looking at me. Truly, it was an insult. Of course, it was my fault, not hers but I could not help myself.   After some word play I changed her name to Bertie. More suitable, kinder.
Here she is in her new IKEA apron, looking rather matronly. Please recall that I accidentally cut the pattern two sizes too big. It was late. I didn't try it on because I had made this pattern several times. Hence, the housemother look. The orthopedic shoes are out of frame. Te he!

I primarily use the dress-form to pin fit the pattern, first sewn fitting and photo's. So, imagine my absolute delight when I removed the Aloha T to wear this morning and that baby was snugly hugging the girls, it looked like a Hooter T shirt!! I did not try this on either, standard big 4 sizing, Vogue pattern, how off can it be? It wasn't ....but Bertie needed adjustment. Now my weight has not changed but that darn gravitational pull thing seems to have adjusted some of my fluff! No, I was not happy. I took the side seams and the hem apart on the shirt, sewed skinny (1/4 inch seams) ((read, do not sneeze!!!!)) and then re-hemmed.   But the larger issue remained. So out comes the polyester fluff. Gave her a little padding at the bust and the belly pooch. Now she seems more accurate per the measurements. We will see.

not so snug on Bertie, but on me, pin up girl!!!


Lesson learned: you still have to try the stuff on, no shortcuts.....drat!!!  So here is Bertie after the adjustment wearing a lovely OOP Vogue cami. Made of a nice polyester, off white, cotton French lace with little spaghetti straps. She requested the cami because of modesty issues. Normally, she is in bra and panties.

After the fluff, I know this is sort of peculiar, but I just couldn't photograph without the cami, just didn't seem right. But a little fiberfill solved my problem, in case you need to know.

Gratuity Moment: DVR technology, being able to record favorite sewing, quilting and gardening programs.

Comments