Fantastic Gift-Vintage Sewing Chest

Our family recently mourned the passing of a dear Aunt. As often happens, there is so much work involved when cleaning and sorting personal belongings. Dear Cousin called today for some help in determining value on some quilts, sewing machines etc. We uncovered two toy sewing machines, one perfect, never out of its box. Another, named "Crystal" in great shape but box quite tattered. Two Singer cabinet machines, one made in England also were in residence each from the early 1950's.  If I had room....they would both come home with me. Alas, I have to decline. That said, a little treasure was hiding in a corner.

this is a sewing cabinet, circa late '40's early '50'sSomewhat tattered. it has stories to tell. I fell in love. It measures about 32 inches in height and is about 16 inches wide. It has three drawers, the top one has spool holders, the second one a lift-tray and the bottom one is open. 
lots of stuff

did I mention lots of stuff?

drawer  #1, cleaned

drawer #2, cleaned

Oh my, more stuff
So I sorted and tossed. In future posts I will chronicle some of the treasures I found here. The first question from husband was...where are you going to put that? I think he is started to look at the barn as a future residence if I continue to collect sewing memorabilia. It's nice over there, one room up and one room down. Is an "intervention" required?
Gratuity Moment: So thankful that I married into a family who sewed, quilted and respected their belongings.






Comments