Collections-Pottery

After reading a recent post by the terribly talented Julie  @ http://www.julochka.com/p/about-me.html, I was reminded of the awesome pottery I have collected over the years. Pottery is so organic and its history is fascinating. I am fortunate to have a local potter who does amazing work with a very talented staff. If you would like to check them out go to
 http://westerwaldpottery.com/index.html. I receive no compensation for any referrals.

a
Westerwald of Scenery Hill, Pa
 I have always appreciated the aesthetic of containers. Ideally, I would like to have a walk-in
pantry (I lived in an old farm house in Omaha, Neb. that had a great pantry, should have re-created it when we built this house.) Having all of those pieces of pottery and firkin's and shaker boxes in one place, lined up, nirvana. This photo shows an onion keeper on the right. It has little ventilation holes on the top. It is heavy and the clay is thick. It stays cool and the onions keep very well. I talked to Phil about a similar keeper for potato's. I sketched a design. He and his helpers set to work. I thought the onion keeper was heavy, well, move this around now and then and you can skip the free-weight work outs. The potato keeper has straighter sides. The challenge for this piece was making the lid. It is so large they had trouble keeping it flat to fit the lip of the pot. But they did it. It keeps potatoes so well. I found a little stainless steel rack for the bottom to increase the ventilation.  The teapot and plate were in the shop when I went to pick up the Potato keeper. They spoke to me. They have a nice cranberry glaze that contrasts well with the traditional cobalt blue. * I also have a nice tea cup collection. I use my collections every day, why have these lovely things to just look at? So, use the collections, enjoy their beauty to enhance your life.

Gratuity Moment: the gift of working at home 

Comments