A Penny for Your Thoughts

The felted wool passion shows no sign of slowing down in Sewtopia. This little kit, from Primitive Gatherings, was one of my finds at the Pittsburgh Sewing Expo from Summer 2013. A candle mat, it is one of those easier projects great for beginners. I have done some really fun things with wool but was anxious to achieve the results represented in their booth. Beautiful finished products, nice clean and sharp cut edges, great color combinations.  

This little kit came with all the wools required to finish the project as well as the backing fabric in the striped homespun. These designers prefer "Steam-a-Seam 2" for stabilizing the edges of the cut fabrics and fusing the pennies to the backgrounds. Having a few packages on hand I decided to use the product despite my prior ambivalence on its performance.  I think it performs better on woven fabrics versus felted wool. I was right. The paper layer lifts and shifts, the glue layer does not adhere well. I made it work by pinning the pennies to the background.

penny rounds
I am going to use my wool blend threads to secure the pennies to the back ground and for the back ground blanket stitches. I think.
  • I like well felted wool, the hand is flexible enough for comfortable stitching but the fabric is stable.
  • Fusibles do stabilize the cut edges.
  • Steam-a-Seam 2 is not the best fusible for me. 
  • I will be using a nice little Pellon I have stashed away somewhere for the next project.
  • I know this will sound whiney but I am not so good cutting circles. We have discussed this before, but now I am thinking about a die cutter. Just thinking.  
  • *ps, in the name of being productive and useful....I hemmed and altered 5 pairs of trousers, just saying.  

Comments