The March Editorial for Sewtopia, Beware, Wordy

 Sewing MachineAccomplishment, empowerment, dedication, and mindfulness; these endeavors all signify to me a life of trial and error. I remember my first quilt, simple, 4 inch squares, in basic rows, alternating a solid color, yellow, with scraps of yellow floral calico cut from a bohemian "prarie dress" that had been on trend a few years before. Loathe to waste anything at the time, I know now that it was a good way to live. Using what was at hand, not really frugal but purposeful.

In my current study of mindfulness, I find my thoughts often return to my early adult life. Admittedly it was a more simple life. After education it was work, husband, work, sewing clothes, work, learning to cook, work. Ha! lots of work. We were living in a new city, I was working at a large metropolitan medical center, husband was in the Air Force. We had no family within 1000 miles, our social circle consisted of co-workers and their spouses. It was good. 

Now much later in life I am rediscovering mindfulness. I know this has been driven, in part, by retirement and subsequently, the pandemic isolation. My needs are different, my life is quite routine. 

The anticipation of Spring is driving my thoughts these days. For some reason this winter has been a stinker. I think if I see another snowflake I am going to scream. We haven't had that much snow but now I am intimidated by the slippery stuff. I fear a fall. Simple as that. 

20200226_150018.jpg

How I am being more mindful these days on the home front and in Sewtopia:   

  1. I have stopped tinkering with old standby recipes. I cook them as written then divide them into individual portions. Some food goes into a vacuum bag. That works well for long-term storage, more than 2 months. Short term storage is now relegated to a new heavy weight silicone bag with a press-seal. I fill them, press out as much air as possible, label them, lay them flat to freeze, then stack them in the large upriight freezer. This is efficient, orderly. I am in the process of rewriting my inventory list for the big freezer to be sure that use-by dates are followed and stock is rotated. This often requires me to cook all day, but, then I can just defrost one item and have a meal ready in a few minutes. I have been doing this for a couple months and it is working well. 
  2. Housekeeping routines have been adjusted. I will admit I was a bit of a clean freak, but quite frankly, I don't care that much anymore. My time is better spent on my creative activities. I still clean and "redd-up" (a local phrase that translates as no clutter, clean kitchens and bathrooms, beds made etc.) If the white glove police come here, knock yourself out. 
  3. Sewing and in the studio I work on what I want, when I want. There is not competition sense in me so that part is easy! I always have several projects going at one time, that is not new, but quite frankly I feel no pressure to finish anything within a specified time period. I have plans, for sure, but I will get to them when I do. Destiny has been returned to the studio, she is sparkling and clean and raring to go, as am I. I think I am going to leave the Viking up for use on my work table to use while Destiny is embroidering stuff. Not sure how that will work out, it is on trial. 
  4. My mindfulness goal  for this month is probably an odd one to some. Paper towels. I seem to be going through so many rolls of paper towels. Of course, all this cooking and prep work is part of the issue. In a post written by Jess of Pilgrims and Strangers on Earth blog, HERE, I have been prompted to follow her lead. She has repurposed bed sheets to use as paper towel substitutes. She had some in her closet and purchased some at thrift stores for pennies. She has torn them to size and hemmed them to reduce fraying. Now, I can't use these for tossing, of course, therefore the disposable component is different, but for simple wipe ups and clean ups, why not give it a try? Really, can I adjust my disposable life? That is the question.   
  5. As an aside, while I am writing this our world is in flux. A war has begun. I feel this will affect us in different ways.  I think the anxiety related to this event has stimulated my thoughts on preparedness. I have always been "prepared" for storms and times of life where we are too busy to maintain normal routines. I know of people in the line of fire. They are terrified. So, what will I do? I will tear up bed sheets and serge the edges to prevent fraying in the wash, I will sort out clothes that no longer fit and pack them up for a local charity shop begging for items during this pandemic isolation, I will make some little quilts for people who need a hug.   
  6. I am going to try to grow garlic. Don't laugh, it is something I have always wanted to do. Check out this video, HERE!, I can do this!
  7.  Be well, be safe, take care to enjoy each day, smile at nothing, dance in the kitchen, hug your family. Life is ours to experience, time is ours to spend wisely, nature is waking up, better days ahead.  

Comments

Jeanneke said…
Oh yes, dear friend, I also believe and will always believe better days are ahead...
As always praying, helping, supporting and loving everyone where and when in need, close to me or not.
Beautiful post, such an inspiration, thank you.
Love and blessings, Jeanneke.