Tea Time Tuesday-The Le Cruset Pot

My first formal tea party, a birthday party. I am the first on the left in the little fur-trimmed blue dress. Yes, my hair was that black and curly! Party dresses were so important in our circle. Each Mum tried to out-do the others.  My cousin is on my left. The others I don't recall, I was 4 years old!

I have recently been reading books and magazine articles about Tea Time. Two bloggers this week had cute little video's on YouTube discussing the same subject. My daily habit in warm weather is to brew a large pot in the morning.  That provides a hot cup or two first and then a few lovely glasses iced through the day.
This pot is my favorite everyday use pot. It is the closest in size and structure to my former Vintage Brown Betty. Poor Betty grew a crack at the base that rendered her no longer suitable. This Le Cruset stoneware piece is an 8 cupper. It has a perfect pour spout. The cup is a little mug that I kept at work. My go-to tea is Lipton.
The tea menu today is a quick little piece of German Chocolate Cake. The dessert plate is Polish Pottery, the design is "Peach Blossoms."

By definition, the discussions centered around the terms "high tea" and "low tea" as well as the apparent confusion about "Afternoon Tea!" In our world of unending turmoil, I found the discussions about tea and scones a great relief.

Afternoon tea and low tea are essentially the same. Little bites of a sandwich, scone, sweets are eaten without cutlery. Most often taken by those with a formal dinner at 8 pm to stave off the hunger monsters! Now, I will not be eating this sticky little cake without a fork. Since I am without a butler and footmen, mine is a bit less structured.

 High tea is a tea taken with a meal, usually an evening meal at a high table. This is essentially our dinner. Named for the evening repast of the working class in Victorian times, high tea is the last large meal of the day.   
  • A Google search will reveal much, much more about tea time if you are interested.
  • I am in the process of testing the perfect tea scone recipes, future posts will hopefully reveal my favorites!
  • As we move into the Fall "nesting" season, tea becomes more and more of an afternoon delight in Sewtopia. See you there.  

Comments

ELMO said…
You make me want to make afternoon tea. ... I look forward to your favored scone recipe.