House and Home-Embroidered Irish Linen



 Home is where the heart is. How many times have you heard that saying? We built Maple Lane House 45 years ago. It has been our haven since that time. I enjoy decorating and collecting, of course, but my little stash of Irish Linen is relatively new. Some of it discovered in antique shops and some of it in little drawers tucked away by family members. Much of it never used.

I was reminded of my motto this afternoon when setting the table for dinner with Dear Son and his Girlfriend. She claims to be "dangerous" around fine china and glass ware and actually requested a plastic cup for her dinner water. Of course I refused. We use everything here. Nothing is "too good" for everyday use IMO. If I am not going to use it, I don't need it. So, the vintage glassware was used.

This also applies to table linen. I was recently gifted two lovely embroidered Irish Linen table runners by Mr. Sewtopia for the dining room table.

This runner measures 54 x 14, and the pattern is Fuschia. The tray is incidental but I left it in the photo. One never knows when a wee dram of Harvey's Bristol Cream might be required!
This Vintage Milk Glass is a Sabin China piece. (formerly in Versailles, Pa. ) It is perfect for wholefruit at dinner service. One of treasure I unearthed while cleaning out MIL's house, it was just too perfect to sell. I don't collect milk glass, actually I gave it all away to a former family member but I will hold on to this one for a while.

 The designs pressed into these older pieces actually remind me of "cut glass" designs we often see in lead crystal. This is a very heavy piece. Our home is full of items that hold memories and just using this piece reminded Mr. Sewtopia of many incidents related to the purchase of these pieces as well as the gentleman who lived across the street who worked at the Sabin Glass Factory. Because the linen is two toned it blends well with many types of dishware and serveware.
  • I have another piece, much like this to share as well. It is named Hydrangea. 
  • House and Home will be a feature that will share all things we use to personalize our space. With the cooler months approaching we all spend more time "inside!" 
  • Do you use your linens, glassware, etc? How do you store them when not in use? I am using scraps of quilt batting that are too small for any other use to pad stacks of plates etc.




Comments

ELMO said…
I see you’re getting ready for the Downton movie 😊. Lovely.