It's Tool Time-Customizing the Coronet Quilting Machine-The Set Up

Here is the top of the quilt, loaded (pinned) in place, I did not baste this quilt, it is small enough to float. Please excuse nicks in the paint, this is because I was always ramming into that back bar trying to gain more work space.  
Scanning the Facebook and blog sites over the last year or so has led me to some conclusions about this machine. The over all selling factor promoted by Baby Lock and Handi-Quilter is the 5 foot frame. (please remember that Handi-Quilter makes all these machines) You want the advantages of a long arm on a frame, not much space, have we got a machine for you!
3_BLCT16_Coronet_ST_3QR.png
A 16 inch long arm, it can be used on several different frames but was initially marketed on the 5 foot frame, referred to as the Little Foot by Handi-Quilter.

I purchased this machine because I had just enough space in the studio to make it fit. I do not regret the purchase and I have made some changes that make it more user friendly for me. Some retailers extra incentives such as thread, some rulers or the ruler base. Mine did not. Mine came with a ruler foot and a hopping foot, that's all.  Everything else on this machine was an additional purchase.

Some of the comments are frustrations due to the size of the frame, there are now other options available if you choose to run this machine on a different frame. I understand some of the tedium when working on a larger quilt but some of the comments blame the machine for their decisions. Tsk, Tsk, you bought it for the same reasons I did, trade up, fix it up or clam up.

So what did I do? First, at set up, the very talented and helpful Steve, made the frame sit as low as possible. This is important to me because I am only 5 foot 3 inches and I need to sit down when I'm working. With a chair that elevates I can do this. The chair was an additional purchase as well but worth it's weight in gold. It moves to many positions vertically and has a full round foot rail, and it spins. Here we are with a small quilt loaded and secured. That little white line you see across the front there, that is a 1/4 inch piece of elastic that I have stretched from the side rails. It is a visual indicator to me to remind me where the work area ends with or without the ruler base in place. It moves on the frame accordingly. I need a reminder before I go flying all over the place when doing free motion work.The leaders are attached with Velcro, easy peasy.

After wrestling with some projects I decided that I didn't care for the clamps provided that hold your fabrics onto the metal frame. I bought magnetic bars at Harbor Freight on sale. These things are strong enough to remove the end of your finger and hold three layers of fabric without difficulty. 

I added a third rail. Others have done this with bits and pieces of this and that but I went ahead an purchased the third rail with Velcro leaders from an online Handi-Quilter supplier. I added new side clamps on long elastic cords as well. If and when I trade, this authentic piece of equipment will improve the value of the machine. I did not care for rolling the fabric on the back bar then adding those little bicycle-like clamp things in a somewhat futile attempt to contain the bulk. Nah. The third rail becomes the take up bar and locks into place after rolling and the back bar now provides tension on the quilt as well as freeing up about 4 inches of work space.

  

The clamps are simple with long elastic cords attached. What to do with them? 

I used a couple of those magnetic bars to hold them onto the legs of the frame until I come up with a brilliant idea, or two.

  • I spent about $350.00 on these upgrades, considering the over all cost of the machine and frame, no big deal and using authentic add ons will not diminish the value of the machine. 
  • Once you use the machine and understand it and how it works for you these options might suit your budget and work style. 
  • My studio isn't getting any larger so this baby is staying. 
  • Loading this machine is no big deal. I keep the ruler base on when I do this and will explain why in the next Tool Time post. 
  • PS, this is one of Kays quilt tops.
 

Comments