A Sunday Special-Quiltfolk!

So here's the story. If you quilt you most likely have a collection (dare I call it a stash) of books and periodicals that are loaded with ideas, inspiration, patterns and advertisement. I do not necessarily shun advertisement, that's how we find out about great new tools and helpful items to guide us on our quilting journey. While there are times I like to sit with a cup of tea, a quilt and 100 yards of binding and use only needle, thread and scissors, if you know me you know I like my gadgets and doo-dads!

Over the last year or so I have stopped all my quilt magazine subscriptions. If I see something at the news stand that interests me I will pick it up but all in all, it is much the same from one project to another.  Even a favorite bi-monthly has become monotonous.

Enter inspiration. Enter warmth and contentment. Enter Quiltfolk. 

I have seen this quarterly advertised off and on in Social Media but really didn't investigate. A few weeks ago I did. Well, the rest is history. I ordered a subscription as well as every available back issue. I tend to get excited. Oh My, certainly one of the most charming and well presented tome's I have ever read. It is really a book, quarterly. Each issue focus is on one state and the story of that's states quilts, quilters, quilt history and quilt people...thus the name Quiltfolk! 

Like a child with a new toy I have been skimming through each issue, backing up, reading this or that. If you know of Mary Fons, you know the quality that has seeped into every page. She has risen to Editor in Chief and her knowledge of the quilt world is revealed. Beautiful pages, heart warming stories mixed with local history transport the reader to Vermont, Arizona, etc. I see many relaxed evenings with this to read. 

Quilting was not part of my childhood. I didn't grow up around ladies who sewed even though my Grandmother was a professional seamstress. This was not a skill akin to quilting. Then I met Husband's Grandmother! She and her youngest daughter lived a very quiet life. It seemed idyllic to me. And they quilted! During Summer they would cut and piece, during Winter, after Christmas, the quilting frame was set up in the living room. Quilts were brought forth every year. Most were utility quilts, some were more "designed" and all were used. To cuddle up in one of these quilts was a hug. Simple as that. This periodical reminds me of their type of work. 

There is not a single pattern in any of these books. Not a single advertisement. Just a never ending story of how American women, from the time of crossing the frontier into Utah to the Katrina survivors, women saved every piece of fabric and made beautiful quilts. 

I am smitten.    

Comments